Vizio TV hangs Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fr0gpil0t, Dec 5, 2010.

1. fr0gpil0t

fr0gpil0t New Member

Dec 5, 2010

Advertisements

Just purchased a new Vizio 42" LCD TV and hooked it up to the Tivo HD via HDMI. Tivo has started to respond slowly to the remote control and hangs occasionally in the programs menu. Switching the TV on and off started the Tivo again.

The only thing I can really configure on the HDMI interface is CEC - but I don't Tivo supports that anyway.

Anyone else had similar issues with a Vizio and know how to fix it ?

Robert

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Switch to component video output from the Tivo to the TV.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    "HDMI" flashed into my mind as soon as I saw the thread title! I have the same problem with my Samsung TV so have to use component video. My DVD player works perfectly with HDMI.

4. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 Member

May 2, 2002
    Me too. Bedroom 32" Vizio won't work with hdmi to one HD Tivo, but works with our other HDXL unit with hdmi. The tivo would try to boot and when it got to a point the tv would show "no signal". Rinse repeat. Moved that Tivo into theater and it boots fine on our old Pioneer with component. So basically both units will work with component, but only one works with hdmi/Vizio.

5. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I have a TiVo HD with Vizio connected via HDMI. No real issues though I have noticed the TiVo will not boot properly if I change inputs during the boot-up. In other words, if I select HDMI 1 where the Tivo is connected, restart the TiVo and change to HDMI 2 where the cable box is connected, the TiVo will not boot all the way. So, I either leave the TV on HDMI 1 during the process or I leave the TV off and pull the plug on the TiVo to restart it.

6. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    One of my Vizo HD TVs interferes with the remote at certain display settings. I cause the remote to do strange things to the TiVo. I just change the display setting a bit and it goes away. Both are connected by HDMI--one just for video and the both video and audio.

Since I got an Harmony remote for that ViZo-Tivo that acted up, I haven't had any problems.

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    It's not HDMI. It's the HDCP (copy protection.) You can thank the movie industry for making you pay for your stuff to not work.

8. Judremy

Judremy Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Farmington...
    Yup the 4 letters you hate are MPAA, not TIVO.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I hooked up my original S3 with component and, finally, along with the Premiere and the Blu-Ray player over HDMI through my AV receiver. Other than me still having to switch the TV to a component input because the AVR doesn't map it, it works and looks fine. I don't see any loss of PQ in HD. I may like being HDCP free.

When I had the previous HDTV and my S3 connected with HDMI through the AVR, the TiVo would lock up when I powered off the TV due to HDCP getting munged.