1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vizio Soundbar Problem and Tivo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mm2margaret, Oct 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oct 5, 2018 #1 of 10
    mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    It appears Vizio soundbars are nothing but trouble. I have a new SB3651-E6, and I've tried the following codes: 1180, 1190, 2030, 0315, 0128, 1199, 1999 and some others. I'm getting nowhere.

I called Vizio and they were clueless and of course, they referred me to Tivo. I called Tivo and I got someone from Asia and who didn't even know who or what Vizio was, or what they did.

It is ungodly frustrating to try and communicate with these people. They are SO poorly trained when I have to tell them what to do because they really know virtually nothing about how to work with this hardware.

After taking a lot of my time, this tech at first said there was nothing he could do, and that Tivo could not help me any further. I asked him to escalate the case and he actually refused to do so. I then asked to be transferred to a technician in the US, and again he refused. Finally, I demanded a supervisor and it was the supervisor who gave me a case number and promised to escalate the case.

Given how expensive Tivo's are, I'm not sure they are worth the investment with this kind of support. I can do better for less (of course, open source is cheap, but there's no support, which if you think about it, is about the same support as I got on the phone today). I was thinking about purchasing a Bolt Vox, but now I'm not so sure that's such a good idea....

But enough about Tivo support. This post is really about getting codes that work so my expensive soundbar can work with my very expensive TivoRoamio (over $800 when originally purchased)....any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 10
    radtechy

radtechy Member

Aug 16, 2008
    I didn’t even know there was codes for it. I’ll try the numbers you posted and see if I get anywhere.

3. Oct 6, 2018 #3 of 10
    josim

josim New Member

May 21, 2016
    South Carolina
    I'm very interested in this.
    Been using a 38" Vizio soundbar for 3 yrs. When I use it I use the Vizio remote along with the Tivo remote or Firetv remote. :/

Well, after some research, code 0128 worked for my Vizio SB3821-C6. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. Oct 6, 2018 #4 of 10
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Code 1180 worked for me with a different Vizio model. Read this short thread:
    Power soundbar with regular remote?

5. Oct 6, 2018 #5 of 10
    mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    I read that and many other postings on this topic before posting here. Nothing worked. I used to have a Vizio S3821w-c0 and 1180 worked on it, but not on this new Vizio soundbar.....<darn it!!>

6. Oct 6, 2018 #6 of 10
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You don't need a Vizio code. See pg. 35 of the manual to teach the bar any remote commands. I recommend you program the Tivo remote to control your TV volume (not the soundbar), then program the soundbar to use your TV remote codes. But you could use any device's volume commands, not just your TV. So you could choose any code at all and teach those commands to your soundbar using the Tivo remote.
    https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/sb3651e6/qsg-sb3651e6.pdf

HerronScott likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2018 #7 of 10
    mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    Actually, just before you posted, I found this in the manual, as a result of Vizio's e-mail based support. Sadly, Vizio Phone Tech Support couldn't point me to this, but Vizio e-mail based Tech Support could......btw, the Tivo Roamio remote is not "learning" (wish it was), but you can teach the soundbar the Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute from the Tivo Peanut remote, and then you can control the audio from your Tivo Remote. (I'm using an Optical Toslink cable plugged in to the soundbar and the TV).

Of course, it would be far far better if Tivo supported more than ONE Vizio soundbar code....(that's right, Tivo only supports one Vizio soundbar code)....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Oct 8, 2018 #8 of 10
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Painful to hear that one has to fight with TiVo to get tech. support.

9. ManeJon

ManeJon Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Sorry for sort of stealing thread but is there a soundbar that can be setup easily with Bolt remote and works with it? I currently have a Polk soundbar (the cheapest one) and apparently it can't learn commands and I haven't found a way to control with Bolt remote since I can't find a code for it. It has a very "bad" remote that has a very, very limited ability to control without placing remote in what seems to be a 1" specific location. Willing to get another soundbar but only if will work with Bolt remote.
    Lots of threads about similar but most are very old threads.
    Thanks

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    My 2017 Samsung soundbar (from last December's holiday promo. sales; model HW-M360, I think) was plug-and-play with my Bolt box/remote/TV.

But here's a thought: how about getting a TiVo Slide Pro learning remote and teaching it the Polk soundbar's functions? Do note: the Slide Pro remote does not have voice control (bad move there, TiVo--add it!), should you be using that with your Bolt. The Slide Pro remote has some other nice functions as well, including illuminated keys and a slide-out keyboard.

mdavej likes this.