Vista and Tivo Desktop- happy story.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ehien, May 1, 2007.

1. May 1, 2007 #1 of 12
    Ehien

Ehien New Member

Jul 5, 2005

Advertisements

After reading some negative experience regarding running Tivo Desktop with Windows Vista, I was relieved to find that it ran on my brand-new Vista Home Premium notebook. And the best part is- I'm finally able to play video (pretty much) in real time!

Before this with XP and any Windows Media Player versions I tried, only the portion that's already downloaded at the time player started could be played. I tried quite and bit and even posted here. But it never worked as I've hoped. Now it finally did! Now the newly downloaded portion can be played without needing to restart the player, either in Media Player or Media Center. I'm liking Vista more and more. Hope future Tivo Desktop update will only be better.

Ehien

2. May 1, 2007 #2 of 12
    ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Media Player Classic (nothing to dow ith Microsoft) played ongoing-0downloads flawlessly already. On 'older' Windows versions.

I'm glad Vista is working well for you, but I, for one, don't plan to upgrade to it for over a year (that's at a bare minimum for sanity's sake!) :)

3. May 1, 2007 #3 of 12
    Ehien

Ehien New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    I was able to play partially downloaded program with any version of Media Player (Classic to 10). But none that I tried would play the part that's added *after* the file was read into player. For instance if the first 10min is downloaded when you start Media Player, in the past I could only play that 10min. Now with Player in Vista, I can play that 10min plus whatever extra added during my viewing of the first 10min. When the download speed is faster than 1x, real-time viewing of the *whole* program without waiting or resrat of player is possible.

I tried to find an XP machine but bought the Vista one as the deal was too good to miss (tons of goodies for a nicely made $600 notebook). Vista and applications on it are not as stable as XP. But with better problem reporting and solving capabilities, I'm expecting future updates to make Vista an ideal OS soon. Even now I've already felt the benefits (richer multiimedia capability and better dual core use) outweight the negatives (memory hog, less stable, slower, certain applications/drivers not compatible, etc.).

4. May 2, 2007 #4 of 12
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    With the Media Player, did you have all the correct addons installed. Thats probally your problem NOT the Operating System.

5. May 2, 2007 #5 of 12
    Ehien

Ehien New Member

Jul 5, 2005

Advertisements

What addons? Can you give me an example? I did have different types of codecs installed for playing certain files such as AVI or MP4.

Are you able to do video streaming with XP? Maybe my problem with it was due to too many addons? OTOH, my Vista is brand new so there's no "addon" at all.

6. May 2, 2007 #6 of 12
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    There are many addones for Media Player.

There are the different codecs files. I am running Media Player 9 still and have no troubles at all.

And yes, you can do Video Streaming with XP.

You could of had too many addones installed. That can also cause problems.

7. May 3, 2007 #7 of 12
    Ehien

Ehien New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Guess in my quest to play various AVI and MPEG (1,2,4) formats, the origianl MPEG2 codec was overwritten and lost the streaming capability. None of my notebook or desktop was able to do it until now this fresh Vista system.

Funny I was excited for a function that should've working since day one. Still like Vista's improved multimedia features though.

8. May 4, 2007 #8 of 12
    cap

cap New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Omaha, NE.
    Is there something I don't get? When I try to install Tivo Desktop on my Vista home edition the installer stops and says it is not compatible with Vista and exits install.

How did you guys get yours installed?

9. May 4, 2007 #9 of 12
    Tempest

Tempest New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Toledo, OH
    Got all excited when I saw that 2.4 is finally released. That excitement quickly faded when Vista showed as still not supported. Any updates from Tivo when a supported version will come out. 2.3a kinda works but not always.

10. cap

cap New Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Omaha, NE.
    Where did you get 2.3a? You mean it kind of works on Vista?

11. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    It's likely the APP works (TiVo Desktop on Vista), but the Installer fails because it sees a version of Windows it wasn't "meant to be installed on"

You COULD install to an XP system, do a diff on your registry files, reapply changes to Vista (if the Registry looks similar!) and (of course) copy over the files & dlls added.

I wouldn't bother - too tricky & I'd assume a couple of quick request to TiVo will yield a Vista installation package in a timely fashion!

12. Ehien

Ehien New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    On my (few days old) Vista machine, I simply install 2.3a and there's no error message at all (that I could remember). All the Tivo Desktop functions that I know of (list, program download, etc.) worked. But so far my Tivo can't see computer's published folders. So it worked one way only so far.