Visions flyer...says Tivo finally coming to Canada

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nando84, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Nando84

Nando84 New Member

Nov 21, 2007

Advertisements

I'm a Tivo newbie, I was thinking of buying a Tivo set from Visions (store in Canada), anyone know if the model Visions is selling is any good?

:eek:

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Unless they found some old stock someplace and dumped them in Canada, the models selling there ought to be the current US models... the Series 2DT, a dual tuner SD DVR, and the Series 3 and TiVo HD, both dual tuner CableCARD and ATSC-based HD DVR's.

BTW TiVo DVR's have been supported in Canada for awhile already, it's just them being sold by a Canadian retailer is apparently new.

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It would almost assuredly be a Series 2 DT 80 Hr.

They could have a Series 3 or TiVoHD, but they are practically useless in Canada.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    A tivo is a tivo. They are all the same quality-wise.

5. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

The Tivo HD and the S3 have more uses in Canada than the S2DT because they can record OTA signals and the DT can't. Is the price difference worth it? probably not for the S3, but the HD is probably most certainly worth it to someone who requires it to record two channels simultaneously from an OTA source.

6. visionary

visionary HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

May 31, 2006
    Norfolk Va.
    Unless they are by our border there is probably no HD to ever record, it's the third world. Even so I would go with the HD for the dual tuners and during its life you may get some HD someday, or, move to a city close to border and pickup from our civilization. Then too you can use the internet sent stuff, if you have any high enough speed internet, with the HD, so I'd forget about an S2.

7. faston

faston New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Vancouver,...
    I have a Tivo HD and use it to record both CTVHD and CBCHD, 2 of the 3 major networks up here. The only thing that is 'third world' is the fact that the Tivo has no guide data for those stations even though the programming is identical to the analog versions that are on cable, which it has full listings for.

I have a cheap $15.00 antenna and only get the Canadian stations, but I think the Seattle ones are too far away even if I had a good one.
    So, I am (relatively) happy with the analog cable capabilities, the Tivocasts and networking of the Tivo HD. The only thing I don't like (but can live with) is having to do manual recordings for HD.

BTW, I have a cable DVR, so Tivo is not my only source for HD. If it was, I would considerably less happy with only 2 HD channels

8. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Besides what faston had to say about you being wrong, The HD Tivos can record both digital and analog OTA signals. The S2 DT has no OTA tuner at all and neither do the late model 540 single tuner Tivos that had their OTA tuning disabled and renamed the 542.

Some "visionary"