Virtuality 06/27/2009

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

not sure what this is...I bumped into it purely by accident and had no idea it was coming...a sci-fi show on network TV with no buzz about it on TCF?

has the world gone mad?

so it's a movie, but what kind of ending was that? it almost felt like a set-up for a series...looks like I'll have to do some research...

a lot of things don't make sense...an astronaut in a wheel chair? a 10-year mission and one crew member doesn't even know another crew member's age? a greenhouse that isn't big enough to feed a mouse?

someone help me out here...what did I just watch?

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Don't know. It was a 2 hour pilot, but Futon Critic said it is a summer series, but also says series is 1 episode?

3. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
  4. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Dang it, I missed it. And TiVo says no more showings... grr!

5. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

Advertisements

oh no...can't believe I watched a Ron Moore show...that explains a lot of my "wtf?" moments while watching, though!

6. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I recorded it. Watched the first 10 minutes, seemed OK, will watch later. Certainly better than the dreadful clip linked to in another thread.

7. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    San Antonio
    I missed the 1st 45 minutes. Forgot it was on tonight. Interesting premise, a long term space mission that is also a reality series. However it is a RDM series so no matter how interesting and good the pilot is, the series will meander and wander all over the pace and piss people off each week.

Then again that might make it interesting enough to watch.

8. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    Check your favorite torrent sites. Im downloading it now as I completely missed it as well.

9. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Much like life.

10. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !!

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    The Los Angeles Times mentioned it today. The reviewer said it was a good pilot that didn't get picked up.

I've only watched the first hour so far, and it doesn't seem like something FOX would want. Too serialized. FOX likes their shows to be standalone episodes that can be watched anytime, anywhere, and in any order.

11. Southcross

Southcross New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I watched it... it definitely has potential. I don't see Fox picking it up for a series, it seemed more like a Sci-Fi or FX channel show. Funny I haven't seen one of these TV "movie"/"pilots" in years

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Hasn't gotten picked up yet. The producers were out doing PR for the broadcast, and they say there's still a slim chance. Hard to tell if that's real or denial, though.

13. GadgetFreak

GadgetFreak New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    I thought I had read somewhere that it was a backdoor pilot, rather than just a pilot. To me the difference is that a pilot is not meant to be standalone, it is just meant to be the first episode. A backdoor pilot can standalone as a movie but also sets up possibilities if it becomes a series. I had read that it probably would not be picked up, but thought that it would be somewhat self contained.

This was a pilot. No closure whatsoever.

So is the captain not dead? The scene where he died was virtual -- the whole things is virtual? I guess we'll never know.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was created as the first episode of a series. Fox paid for the pilot, then did not decide to pick up the series (apparently, they haven't entirely ruled it out yet, but it's pretty unlikely).

It was never intended to be a stand-alone movie. It became a backdoor pilot only retroactively, after it was made and when Fox decided to run it without ordering the series.

15. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    I just watched it on Hulu and I liked it. So then no more shows?

16. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Nope. Unless it got stellar ratings, and even then that's not a guarantee.

I thought Virtuality was intelligent, articulate, well-defined, and well-written science fiction. I sincerely hope this gets turned into a television series. Hey, it was produced by Universal Media Studios, the television production arm of NBC Universal. Hmmm...if only there was an actual channel really dedicated to the science fiction genre that a proposed Virtuality series could air on....

17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    They don't have one of those.

Z

18. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Why air it at all?

If I had known how it would "end," I never would have watched it.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They wanted to A) recoup some of their investment, and B) gauge public reaction to determine if they should change their minds and move forward with the series.

I'm guessing about a 90-10 split. Maybe 95-5.

20. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    Is VR sex cheating on your partner? Is rape in VR the same as a real violation? I like the questions this show raised. To bad Virtuality would never ever make it on network TV.