Virtual Picture In Picture (PIP)

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by RoamioJeff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1 of 30
    RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    Say you're watching Netfix or another app on Tivo, and you want to keep an eye on a live tuner (breaking news, weather, sports).

Suggestion is for the ability to toggle on/off the live video window in the upper right of the screen while in a video app like Netflix, in the same way that the video window is available when you're in the TiVo menus.

But, wait, that's not all!

Make this a global feature so that if you are watching a TiVo recording or a live tuner, the smaller video window could be displayed with the content of another tuner as above.

Again, this would be a killer feature (IMHO) for keeping tabs on breaking news, threatening weather, and sports.

Thoughts?
    Discuss?

DaveB673, Tom Hayes and Mikeguy like this.
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo hasn't bothered with PIP of any kind in 18 years, so i doubt it

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, it also didn't do SkipMode for 17 years . . . . ;) And it already has a blueprint for PIP with the in-laid screen on the TiVo Central screen.

RoamioJeff likes this.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's entirely, technically possible. I just don't think they think it's important for a DVR to have PIP. And I agree. Why the hell would you want to try to watch two things at once when you can just record something and watch it later? But to be fair I'm not a sports guy, and I'm told that's a scenario where people like to use PIP.

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Multi-tasking can be a good thing, at times. And one should never discount fun. :)

RoamioJeff likes this.
  6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    We've had this discussion before. There are live things. Sports. News. Weather.

Computers do it. Why have multiple windows? Just look at one thing at a time.

Geez. Why does TiVo have have live buffers? Just record!

RoamioJeff likes this.
  7. sgibbs33

sgibbs33 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Aurora, IL
    The PIP doesn't have to be active all the time. I would want it to pop open when detecting Home Automation events
    a) video doorbell rings (show the front door camera)
    b) video babymonitor audio detection (baby cries)
    c) phone rings (Network Caller ID)
    d) IFTTT events (this is an area that's about to explode in popularity)

RoamioJeff and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    With front door cameras becoming more popular, would be a nice idea.

RoamioJeff likes this.
  9. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Haha, Tivo isn't quite that "cutting edge". I can't see them ever doing anything this awesome.
    I do find it interesting that PIP as a technology came and went at a time where it was not nearly as useful as it could be today.
    I remember back when my parents owned a TV with PIP, our cable company required cable boxes, so if you wanted to utilize the PIP, you had to rent TWO cable boxes. In fact, a lot of people didn't get the concept of "multiple inputs" back then. The TVs usually had dual tuners, but you had to set each of the to channel 4 and use two cable boxes. I think the manufacturers thought that PIP never caught on because it was a bad idea. Personally I think the idea was great, but it was a bad implementation and too complicated at the time for people to bother setting it up. I think with today's technology, building it into a DVR would allow PIP to work as it was envisioned back when it was first introduced, especially with the multiple streams of content we have (Live TV and Streaming Apps).

JBDragon likes this.
  10. beryrinaldo

beryrinaldo Member

Sep 13, 2007
    I've always hoped for a PIP feature on my TiVo - I like watching live sports and PIP is a nice feature for keeping an eye on another game and bouncing back and forth.

To bump this up a notch, I'd like to see a 4-way split screen where I could watch 4 tuners live - March Madness in these early rounds often has multiple basketball games running simultaneously.

11. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    I'd love to see PiP on my Tivo as well. I have a Dish system with Hopper and it works great! Fantastic for sporting events. It supports PiP with various sizes, and you can also due "multi-view" which lets you have 2, 4, or 6 equal size screens with easy audio switching from pane to pane. 6 panes gets a bit tough on my 42", but 4 is awesome. Maybe I have to get a bigger TV!

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    It's like the Situation Room! :)

Comes in very handy for TiVo re-sets or setting up multiple transfers from a slow TiVo box--put the TiVo feed in one box and a real show on another, and ease the pain. :)

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Plus nowadays you can have TCF on along with your program!!!!!

14. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    If you look at the Layer3 TV thread here on TCF you can see screenshots of 5 tuners being displayed at once while browsing your shows list I believe.

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    PIP is the one feature I've always submitted as my request to tivo.

16. Tom Hayes

Tom Hayes New Member

Jan 16, 2018
    I just fired up my TIVO Roamio OTA last night and started messing with it tonight trying to find the PIP option without any luck! :) After Googling I ended up here and you nailed it! I had a satellite receiver in the late 80's I could do this on and here we are 30 years later with a device with 4 tuners and you can only use one but you can record four! Seriously! I might be returning it to Amazon!

17. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This feature has never been offered! Not listed here, there, or anywhere! Not sure why you thought it was! There are other use cases that seriously reduce the need! No issues with you wanting this!

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Wow! :eek:

19. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could do PIP with your TV. Just split the coax and have one cable going to the Roamio and one cable going to the TV. This way you have a fifth tuner that is dedicated to live TV.

20. RoamioJeff

RoamioJeff Unregistered User

May 8, 2014
    On most cable systems that will not work. The signal you split to the TV will not be viewable (encrypted) without an additional cable box. And the vast majority of TiVo owners have a TiVo to replace a cable box.

Per my OP, TiVo could make a software change to provide PIP right on the TiVo.