Virgin Media installing one TiVo every minute

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42753/virgin-media-one-tivo-minute

A little news to counter the TiVo is dead threads that seem so popular around here. It will be interesting to see how popular the Cable co deals will be in the states.

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It all depends on how the cable companies push the product. I bet that Virgin actually wants these things in peoples homes. The Boston market has had the Motorola Box running Tivo software for over three years. They did very little advertising. The few times, I have had to deal with the unit that my mother has the people on the phone knew nothing about it.

Tivo is leaving the success of their company up to cable operators. Cable operators have already spent years and millions of dollars developing their own products.

3. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    tivo should give tivo s FREE to all the cable companys then get a cut of the monthly fee the cable company charges the customers. FOR those that purchase a tivo from a retailer they can keep it at a fee for cablecard if you get lifetime service.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    LOL! Just how is Tivo going to fund that? The hardware isn't exactly free.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, that is basically how it works with RCN afaik except I'm sure RCN pays some type of initial fee for each box. But they do get a cut of each TiVo rental. Otherwise, they would have no incentive to keep supporting the boxes.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Please name 3 MSOs that have developed and currently deliver their own DVRs.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Huh? Every cable/satellite operator offers a DVR, some better than others. Maybe they didn't directly build the thing, but they certainly invested a lot of time and money into them. I see commercials all the time for Comcast and Verizon DVR's. They want you to rent theirs. What is their incentive to try and push Tivo? They already have a solution that people are somewhat content with.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you are missing the point more DVR suppliers is a good thing for cable companies. Cable companies do not design and build DVRs or the software the DVRs are running. They buy DVRs (mostly from Motorola or SA) and have the software customized for their system. I read back a few years ago that Motorola was getting close to $500 per box for their crappy DVRs from the cable companies. It is likely that cable companies could buy DVRs from TiVo and rent them at a price that would increase the cable companies profits in the DVR rental area. Also for the smaller cable companies it gives them a much better product to compete with.

9. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    RCN buying the boxes is a LOT different then Tivo giving them to RCN.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, I wasn't implying that. But the deal they have with RCN isn't a one time purchase. That wouldn't really help TiVo in the long run.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    RCN pays the initial cost of the box but pays a much lower subscriber fee than retail. Most speculation is that RCN & Suddenlink are paying around $3.00/mo per TiVo box. RCN also provides the support for the boxes so TiVo essentially has very little support costs associated with an MSO deal other than providing new software releases on a maintenance basis and dealing with trouble reports that can't be handled by RCN.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That fact is so true. It's amazing how many posters here think that companies should enthusiastically support products that reward the consumer but don't profit the supplier. Have they never heard of human nature, or do they think everyone is Mother Teresa? (Actually there was some doubt even about her -- see book by Christopher Hitchens ;))

Tuning Adapters and CableCARDs are perfect examples of this "trying to push a noodle" approach. I bet Virgin doesn't have to mess with CableCARD and Tuning Adapters, which make TiVo both unreliable and user-unfriendly.
    What was their other choice if they wanted to market a stand-alone DVR?
    To be more precise, they are leaving the success of stand-alone TiVo's to a combination of politics (FCC rulings and/or threats) and the cable operators.

The Virgin Media situation is very interesting -- just look at "Virgin Media" in Wikipedia. In 2010 they offered 4 levels of internet. The lowest one is 10 Mbps and the highest is 100 Mbps. Maybe the down side is the cost ?

13. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    Virgin plan to get their entire customer base (currently 3.8 million customers) over to TiVo, which is now the only PVR available from Virgin.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Does the Virgin Tivo have Netflix, Amazon etc?

15. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    Nope, it doesn't even have Lovefilm (the closest thing we have to Netflix) yet. But Virgin have expressed an interest in an app for Lovefilm, and with Netflix now coming to the UK next year, I imagine an app for that can't be far away.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Interesting. I can't imagine that US cable companies will ever embrace third party video services.

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You said they have invested millions in development on their own products. Most haven't spent a dime in development.

They offer A DVR. They do not offer THEIR OWN DVR. All of them buy their DVRs from Motorola, Cisco, Pace, etc. Some buy them from TiVo. The vast majority also buy the software from 2nd parties.

Time? No. Money? They buy them off the shelf, if that's what you mean. Thy spend nothing on R&D, and they are perfectly happy to buy from the lowest bidder.

I never said they had one. That doesn't mean they have anything invested in the DVRs they lease in a business sense. They are perfectrly happy to buy them from anyone. They couldnlt care very much less if the company selling them the DVR went belly up.

18. Jeff_DML

Jeff_DML Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Satellite guys build their own at least SW, hw think is contracted out to such people as Pace. I worked on the DirecTV hr20. Pretty sure DISH does their own in house developement too.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The same with Cisco. I don't know the current price, but Cisco was selling their SA8300HD for $450 in lots of 10,000.

For most CATV companies, the DVR / STB returns only marginal profits or is even a loss leader in some cases. It is the VOD and IPPV revenue that makes their bread and butter.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Wow!:eek: And people complain about the cost of the TiVo, yet the TiVo will run circles around most of those cable company DVRs. More features, more storage, more reliable etc.