VIP not Expiring

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MScottC, Dec 17, 2006.

1. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

A friend of mine just went to order an S3 from the TCF... But he was concerned about the VIP offer and when it was expiring. I told him, "As far as I know, as long as you order by Dec 31 and call for the transfer by January 31, all should be fine, BUT call the number and confirm that info." Well, he called, and what he was told was that the deadlines are no longer in place, and that the CSR thinks the deal is good for another 6 months... Good news if you ask me. Has anyone heard the same?

2. coreybryant

coreybryant Texan at Heart

Mar 1, 2003
    Castle Rock, CO
    Do you mean the VIP offering as far as the lifetime members being able to move their membership to a new box?

We have been a lifetime member for probably since a year after TiVo was introduced. We did upgrade to a Series 2 when we were able and we have been contemplating on getting the new one

3. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I feel it would be a smart move on TiVo's end to extend the offer since a lot of people are still on the bubble. Hope it's true.

4. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    I say we poll a few more CSRs and take the average response.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

Until you see something on the web site or a post from a Tivo employee here, I wouldn't count on anything other than what has been publicly announced.

6. VanGoghLikesTivo

VanGoghLikesTivo New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Wow. If they are extending this policy, I wish they would publicize it soon, so I know if I need to buy a Series 3 soon or not.

7. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Absolutely. This is how rumors get started.

8. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER I Love my TiVo!

Dec 9, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm still on the fence, mainly due to the 'issues' that come up on this board about reliability, etc. I understand that it's a disproportionate amount of reports vs what's actually out there, but I digress.

If TiVo is thinking of extending the offer another 6 mths then I will buy one when some of the issues are worked out (T2G/HMO/eSATA).

If they are not thinking of extending then I may not buy one at all. I honestly think they should, as there isn't enough incentive to jump to HD yet for some ppl (IMO).

9. joelkfla

joelkfla Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Orlando area
    There are no dates on the TiVo VIP web page; it just says "for a limited time". Were the expiration dates there before that have been removed, or were there never dates on there?

10. b55er

b55er Member

Oct 9, 2006
    As listed in the Offer Terms and Conditions as of December 18, 2006:

TiVo® Series3™ HD DVR purchase required by 12/31/2006 and activation of the DVR is required by 01/31/2007.

Offer good for all subscribers with an existing paid Product Lifetime Service subscription.

Product Lifetime Service may be transferred from an existing box to a TiVo Series3 HD DVR only. This offer is not being extended to transfer Product Lifetime Service to any other product.

All terms and conditions for a 1-year prepaid subscription apply to your old DVR. At the end of 1-year, you will be automatically rolled to then-applicable monthly rate. The 1-year contract is not transferable to another party.

Cancellation of only the 1-year contract on the old DVR while still transferring the Product Lifetime Service to the new Series3 HD DVR will be permitted, but only after 60 days of service for both boxes have elapsed. Cancellations on the 1-year contract will not result in refund of the $199 transfer fee. All other warranty replacement costs still apply to the old DVR.

If you return the box within 30 days of placing the order on the website, you will receive a full refund on any paid transfer fee and hardware cost. The shipping charge for the return is at your expense. Returns outside of 30 days will not be accepted. If the transfer is cancelled within the first 30 days, the Product Lifetime Service will remain on your old DVR.

Both boxes will be activated once this process is complete, but the contract information may take over 60 days to be reflected on the DVR or "Manage My Account".

The TiVo Service Agreement applies to the Series3 HD DVR, along with other terms and conditions listed at tivo. In case of any discrepancies between those terms and those listed in this offer, the terms defined in this offer supersede those posted.

11. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    To Clarify.... Aas I was showing the VIP page to my friend, we did not see the terms and conditions. I suggested he call. The CSR made the statement about the postponed deadlines. Last night I found the "terms and conditions" page, which I emailed to my friend (This just means he can't procrastinate anymore). I did NOT mean to start a rumor, just check out a fact stated by a TiVo CSR, which we all know not to be the most reputable group of people.

12. lordrichter

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    So, right, I read this as no announced expiration for getting the VIP lifetime transfer for people who have purchased by 12/31/06 and activated by 1/31/07.

By these rules, you could purchase this month, activate next month, and transfer it in 2008.

Why you would want to do that is a completely different issue.

13. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Interesting view. It was my understanding the transfer was only good during activation. I initially signed up monthly and then transferred before 30 days was up. Tivo gave me grief about it. IOW, I wouldn't expect this to work.

14. Necro

Necro New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Euharlee, Ga
    Great... Now I got officially screwed by Tivo!

Bought my Tivo for $899 thinking the offer was "available for a limited time"...

And here it is, two months later and I could have saved $250. Guess I won't be trusting their "offers" in the future.

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Well, to be fair to TiVo, extending an offer doesn't "screw" those who took the offer earlier; rather it only benefits those who take the offer later. Is your objective an enjoyable entertainment experience? Or is your objective beating other customers?

16. Necro

Necro New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Euharlee, Ga
    It did say "limited time offer"... So that made me jump, especially since lifetime service is no longer available.

17. kido

kido New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I think the only way you could consider yourself screwed is if TiVo drops the MSRP while the offer is still valid. And this is a unsubstantiated rumor, so for now, if you want to be sure you can transfer your lifetime via the VIP offer, you need to purchase by 12/31/06.

18. jasonpot

jasonpot New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    So if I already activated under monthly in October can I still transfer my lifetime before the 31st?

19. AndrewFischer

AndrewFischer Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    The fine print has always said purchase a Series 3 before 12/31/2006 and transfer by the end of January 2007.

You could have waited until now and purchased a S3 at todays prices. Like nearly all consumer electronics early adopters pay a higher price.

I expect the Series3 price to drop sometime after Tivo ends the VIP plan.

20. lordrichter

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    Nothing of the sort.

And there is nothing in the fine print that says that you have to transfer the lifetime service when you activate the Series 3.

As a matter of fact, they are so unclear on this matter that I was under the impression that I had to activate the S3 first, then call them to do the transfer. I was surprised that they actually allowed me to activate and transfer the service in the same phone call. I thought I would have to argue with the CSR to do it that way.