Viewsat and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Garfios, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Garfios

Garfios New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Hi,I have a viewsat free to air receiver, but I haven't being able to make it work with Tivo, no matter which code I try, I heard I can update my tivo with the IR codes for the viewsat2000, any help with this will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. Thanks

2. d970813

d970813 New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Hi,

I have the same problem (Viewsat Xtreme) and it's really bad - our TiVo won't change the channels on our satellite receiver.

Worse yet, it seems that there is not much interest to support FTA receivers (I mean TiVo kind of ignores us...). However, Pansat (another FTA receiver) is supported.

Can anyone help? Thanks

3. falc122727

falc122727 Member

Jan 21, 2004
    You won't get any help here. Cut and paste from the forum rules:

RULES:

1. No discussion of Theft of services. That includes TiVo, DirectTV, CableTV or theft of any other service.

2. No discussion of hacked TiVo software versions that allows Theft of Services.

4. d970813

d970813 New Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Thanks for replying. However, you are making some assumptions and you are wrong.

1. - there are users out there paying for their TiVo service (I am one of them);
    2. - FTA is not stealing - if you get an FTA receiver and a big enough dish, you can view programming from far far away... try it. With a TivO, you can also record these programs.

Now again - does anyone know how to fix this (have a TivO box work with an FTA adapter)?

Thanks

5. falc122727

falc122727 Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I know about FTA and I know that 99.9% of the interest in it is to load modified bins to steal Dish Network and Bell Expressvu programming. If you are intertested in True FTA, TiVo has no guide data for true FTA, so there is no need for TiVo to control your Viewsat.

6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    ding ding ding we have a winner :)

7. Mar 6, 2006 #7 of 26
    Snafoo

Snafoo New Member

May 28, 2005
    I have to strongly disagree with the ASSUMPTIONS being made in this thread.

If you have ever seen an FTA feed you would realize how great it would be to be able to record the video. Especially the news feeds from remote broadcasts. You get to see what is happening before they go "ON the AIR".
    Now with that being said, what better appliance to use to record the video than a tivo? It does a really great job and has a large support base in this forum.

How can you ASSUME that anyone using an FTA receiver is steeling service when the same could be assumed of you?

8. Mar 6, 2006 #8 of 26
    Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    since there's no guide data for anything but Dish Network, why would someone using FTA legally CARE that their tivo can't change channels on it.
    Just use manual recordings of the channel 3 input.
    Really I challenge ANYONE wanting to control their FTA with their tivo SHOW me what purpose it serves.
    (besides changing the channel's to dish network ones.)

9. Mar 6, 2006 #9 of 26
    willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    There you go Gunny, a legitimate excuse. :p So all he wants tivo to do is set up a programming guide so that he can record a program called "Watch the news guy comb his hair for 5 minutes before the 5:00 news" :cool: I can't see why they wouldn't set this up. ;)

10. Snafoo

Snafoo New Member

May 28, 2005
    Why would anyone want to use a tivo to record manually?
    Wouldn't a VCR work for that?

You are missing the point entirely.

Isn't the purpose of hacking the tivo to get it to do something it can't "out of the box" that someone or maybe just one might want it to?

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, but since making it work with such receivers is questionable at best, we will take the easy way out and not discuss it here, as it could be aiding a pirate.

12. Snafoo

Snafoo New Member

May 28, 2005
    classicsat, I respect your response and agree entirely.
    It just seemed to me that Garfios was getting beat up for asking a question that only needed an answer. You are a credit to this community.

I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my intention.
    Perhaps I too could have responded better myself.

13. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Still though.
    Without Guide data, a Tivo can only Manually record X channel at Y time.
    Since there's no Guide data for FTA (except the afformentioned Dish Network Data) you can't do anything with one except record manually. I stand by my argument that anyone wanting to control an FTA STB wants to do it to record Dish Network, which IS stealing.

14. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Didya ever wonder why Gunny knows so much about stealing??? :eek: :D

15. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Hey!!!
    ;)

16. time4akshun

time4akshun New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Downgrade to a Pansat 2500a, 2700, or 3500. Tivo works fine for that Mr. FTA watcher...

Time

17. zukerama

zukerama New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    IS this still accurate?
    How bout the new HD 6000 Pansat?
    Also compatible with Tivo?

18. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    The following is STILL true AFAIK

19. zukerama

zukerama New Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Google Tivo Codes for Viewsat
    DSS Tester has a file there that allows you to use viewsat with tivo.
    Havent used it yet. but just thought I'd let you know...

20. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Of course they have it, that site is nothing but a pirate site.

It is just nobody here in their right mind wants to help out a pirate.