Viewing TivoWeb with Firefox

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Ashley, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK

Advertisements

When I use Firefox to view TivoWeb I have two problems.

The appearance is different to that using IE.

[​IMG]
    With IE.

[​IMG]
    With Firefox.

Also using Firefox often unpauses the TiVo.

2. shanew

shanew UK TiVo Tweaker

Apr 11, 2003
    Baldock, UK
    Mmm, that's interesting.. There was recently a long thread talking about problems with tivoweb pausing/unpausing tivo. I'll have to set IE back to my dafault browser to see if the problem stops.

I don't get the differences in display when using the technophobe theme but i seem to remember a while ago that using a specific theme did cause them to look different on both IE and Firefox as you've shown, I never figured out why though...

3. terryeden

terryeden TiVo, Tivum, Tiva,

Nov 2, 2002
    Surrey
    Either Firefox or IE has cached the wrong CSS (stylesheet) - clear the cache.

As for the pausing - it only seems to do this when TivoWeb is overloaded - have you changed any of the options in Firefox to accellerate the number of simultaneous connections it makes to a server?

4. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
    I've never noticed IE unpausing the TiVo

I'm using the TiVo Community Theme as can be just seen in the Firefox pic just under the TiVo Web Project heading. This is invisable using IE. Will experiment with another theme.

5. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK

Advertisements

I've cleared the cache with no change.

It not pausing the TiVo but UNpausing it. I don't know how to change the number of connections.

6. shanew

shanew UK TiVo Tweaker

Apr 11, 2003
    Baldock, UK
    But you still experience IE pausing the tivo?

7. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
    I remember it causing a very short pause.
    Firefox, on the other hand, takes it out of pause.

8. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
    I've tried another theme (Techophobe) and they look the same under IE and Firefox apart from the name of the theme is visible under the TiVoWeb Project heading in Firefox.

9. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Have you tried my Lovely Themes?

I'd be interested in the results. :)

10. greenkr

greenkr New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I am using Firefox and Bluebook - each menu item shows a forwardslash at the beginning and end - eg /Backup/ . The word BLUEBOOK appears below Tivo Web Project in Firefox - it did not show in IE.

11. mbriody

mbriody New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Northampton, UK
    Your themes work okay in Firefox.

I too had the same issues as above with Firefox and my previous theme (TiVoComm).

12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I've just 'converted' to Firefox and am seeing the same display problem as the OP.

I've also found another, more annoying, anomaly....

IE6:
    [​IMG]

FF:
    [​IMG]
    I assume it's just the way that FF interprets the HTML or whatever?

13. johala_reewi

johala_reewi New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Southampton UK
    IE and FF can handle CSS in different ways so what works for one, may not work for the other. This website has some pointers on creating CSS that stands a good chance of working on most browsers.

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/

14. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    I'm constantly amazed that people switch to Firefox (because it's so much better than IE) and spend the rest of their browsing life suffering the rendering problems it has (because it's actually so much worse than IE). :eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

15. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    The thing is, FF certainly has advantages over IE but it depends which one displays web pages more correctly, if you see what I mean, and I think that IE does win in that dept. :)

16. hokkers999

hokkers999 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    You've got that completely the wrong way around. FireFox is totally W3C standards compliant. The problem is *lazy* developers who only code using Mirco$soft tools, check it in Internet Exploder and then throw it up on the net.

Personally I just find another site with the same info, dropping a line to the site owner telling them why I am boycotting their site and recommending everyone I know to do the same.

If enough people actually *do* soemthing, sometimes things change.

17. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    I wondered how long it would be before a Firefox groupie would show up :D

W3C making up standards and saying everyone should adhere to it doesn't make it a true standard. Having 90% of the market makes IE the standard. It's hard to handle but it's true. :D

You calling me lazy? It's not lazy developers, it's developers that are coding to the standard web browser behaviour. IE has been totally stable since about 1998, hardly changing since IE5. You might think that's a bad thing, but as a web developer believe me that's a great thing. Netscape 6 came and went, as did Mozilla, and Netscape 7 and Opera. Today it's Firefox. They're all constantly changing due to open source and their wish to release something every few weeks. It makes for a very unstable ever-changing environment.

What you also need to consider is the websites that were made anything from 1 to 6 years ago, have been working perfectly well and now suddenly this browser comes along that can't handle that well established format. It may not be the W3C standard but it is "the standard". Those sites who've already spent their huge amounts of money making their website compatible with all major web browsers "AT THAT TIME" be it one year ago or 6 years ago do not want to spend thousands or hundreds of thousands ensuring it works with Firefox.

It's the developers of Firefox who are lazy. They're the ones that came into this pre-existing Internet world and didn't bother dealing with the way it currently is and instead only deal with the way they (and the W3C) would like it to be.

Now here's where I reiterate what I said earlier : "they spend the rest of their browsing life suffering the rendering problems it [Firefox] has (because it's actually so much worse than IE)."

There's the problem you see, things changing should be in Firefox, not the billions of web pages out there.

18. dogsbody

dogsbody Happy Happy Joy Joy

May 2, 2005
    Don't get me started on all the security issues in IE!! :rolleyes:

19. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    We always hear about "issues" with Windows or IE. How come I've never had a problem with either of them then? No viruses, trojans, etc., ever!

Am I just lucky?

Also, if you were a hacker, which Browser/OS would you choose to target; the one with >90% of user or the one with <10%? I think that's what they call a 'no-brainer' :)

20. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
    I wonder which browser the author of TiVoWeb uses. If you look at the two screen shots on the original post you can see some text below the 'TiVoWeb Project' with the Firefox browser but it's not visable with the IE browser.