Viewing show on one Roamio on another Roamio; it now works

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Jim861, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jim861

Jim861 New Member

Jan 8, 2017

Advertisements

I have two Roamios and they are set up wireless with a ASUS TM-AC1900 Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Router on the 5ghz band. I have tried several time to remote view a show (using the other Roamio) and got the message my network was not fast enough. Now it works fine. Before I had to transfer the recording before watching.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem and now works? I was wondering if Tivo has been doing updates to make revote viewing work better?

Thank You

If you had this problem you may want to try again.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is called RMS or streaming. Usually you cannot do it with wireless unless both devices are on great connections.

Jim861 and Teeps like this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What you'e doing, Multi-Room Streaming (MRS), is still not officially supported by TiVo, as they require wired networking between the boxes for MRS; wireless boxes are relegated to the older approach, Multi-Room Viewing (MRV), transferring content between boxes with the associated copy-protection limitations. MRS is obviously preferable.

That said, the TiVo boxes don't explicitly test for a wired connection, so if the user can meet the bandwidth and latency requirements using some other technology, the TiVo boxes will be none the wiser.

As for whether TiVo is doing anything to explicitly enable non-wired connections, no, I don't think so; however, it seems like they broke MRS a bit with a recent update (numerous "Mini worked for years until" posts) and it's possible that the 20.7.1 update fixed those issues, widening the window for acceptable wireless performance.

Jim861 and Teeps like this.
  4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Shall I test it? I'm tired of shoveling snow anyhow. I'll be back.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Advertisements

Yup, was never able to get wireless to work, reliably, for streaming between XL4 and Roamio basic.
    Finally caved in and ran a cat5 cable from router to entertainment center and added a 5 port switch.
    Now it works fine... all the time.

Mikeguy likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Update: MRS seems to work from a wireless Roamio (87% on 5GHz) to wired Roamio. It ran for a few minutes. I then checked my v2 Mini and it seemed ok for about two minutes. That means no stuttering. Then I lost the connection and could not get it back. All units on 20.7.1.RC2. Maybe I'll test more later.

7. Jim861

Jim861 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    That makes sense to me. The Tivos, router are in the same place and channels of my neighbors are the same seems to have about the same strength as they were before when it did not work.

I was think about setting up powerline units, repeaters or doing it by coaxial. I was looking at this for a low cost ethernet connection. Amazon.com: 2 PACK - DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Third Generation (with 1 USB Power Cable & 1 AC Power Supply): Electronics

I am glad it works for now until Tivo fixes things again:)

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for this call-out--I find that system very intriguing for coax not currently being used, at a bargain-basement cost ($20 or less for 2 units). I'd be curious to hear the impressions of those in the MoCA/networking "know."

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Some people have used DirecTV DECA adapters to provide a wired networking connection for their TiVo gear, but DECA adapters require coax lines isolated from OTA antenna or cable TV/Internet, since the DirecTV MoCA implementation used in DECA adapters is MoCA Band E (475-625 MHz) and overlaps with both OTA and cable frequencies. MoCA Band D (1125-1525 MHz, up to 1675 MHz for MoCA 2.0 extended Band D) is used in pretty much every retail device you'll see marketed as "MoCA," and is compatible with OTA or cable TV/Internet signals on the same coax cabling.

Note also that if you were to expand your TiVo solution to include a TiVo Mini, even though the Mini has built-in MoCA connectivity, the Mini's MoCA implementation is MoCA Band D, and so the Mini would require its own Band E DECA adapter were you to want to wire it through DECA-enabled coax lines.

The only other caveat is that DECA adapters are limited to 100 Mbps, which is perfectly fine for the Fast Ethernet-limited 4-tuner Roamios; however, were you to want/need better bandwidth between these locations and your router/Internet to support some other device (e.g. gaming console) or activity, DECA might be a bottleneck (and MoCA 1.1 or 2.0 adapters w/ Gigabit ports could be considered; MI424-WR routers repurposed as MoCA adapters are a cheap MoCA alternative).

- - - -

Some DECA-related threads, provided without warranty...

Jim861 likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    OP would need 3 DECA adapters, most likely, same as the number of MoCA adapters they'd need, assuming we're talking about MoCA-less 4-tuner Roamios.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks for the links, great! Had not known of the DECA world before.

And so, yeah, I was wondering about the number of DECA adapters that would be needed. Specifically, I was wondering if, as with MoCA adapters, a DECA adapter could be used at each TiVo device and then the TiVo network bridged to one's router via a WiFi bridge connected to the TiVo box. (And so, that TiVo box would be connected to a switch, with both a WiFi bridge and DECA adapter connected to the switch.)

Certainly, the price is right, if one has "spare" coax cabling around not already being used for antenna/cable/Internet.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What I totally don't get is that my Tivos are wired, sitting one on top of each other, and still _once in a while_ I can't stream to the other (too slow), or it's really choppy and finally stops.. and usually at those times, downloading from the Tivos is much slower too (~1 MB/second rather than ~10 MB/second). Seems like it's usually after I have accidentally bumped my network cable _to the outside_.. but if they're hooked directly into the same switch, shouldn't they see each other?

13. Jim861

Jim861 New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    If you have a laptop you may want to check your LAN Speed. Here are some apps to test with windows. 5 Free Tools to Test and Benchmark Your Network Speed • Raymond.CC

When I was having problems streaming it would just stop and would not restart at the point it quit, it went back to beginning on a retey.