Viewing Not Permitted under HDMI - Bad Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cheerdude, Aug 13, 2007.

1. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Got the "Viewing Not Permitted" blue box for the first time on my S3 when watching Live TV.

When I switch to another channel, the picture shows up for a second or two but then goes blank with the blue box warning.

If I unplug the HDMI cable, at either end, I get sound back. Hooking up a S-Video is giving me a temporary fix.

Is this the case of a bad HDMI cable? Or is it something with the connection ports on either the S3 or my TV (Sony)?

I did do a restart to see if that cleared the problem and it didn't. Also cycled through the inputs on the TV which didn't help either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Jeff

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Try unplugging the TV and the Tivo. Wait 30 seconds. Plug the TV in and let it completely power up. Then plug in the Tivo and let it power up. This may induce a new handshake.

3. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Why does this sound remarkably similar to how to reset an internet connection? ;)

Will try and report back...

4. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Cheerdude

How did you make out?

I also have S3 and Sony and get that dreaded message on certain channels.

I either have to disconnect my HDMI cable or turn on my Pio. receiver. :mad:

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Some Sony TVs of a few years back are known to have problematic HDMI implementations. IIRC, Sony offered a firmware upgrade to solve some of those issues.

6. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Hmm-I was not aware of this firmware. I will definitely look into it tonight. :up:

7. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I think my issues with this started when I hooked up a Psyclone HDMI Selector (TiVo S3 HD DVR, Sony 400 DVD player, and Sony PS3). I've had it happen while the TiVo was paused. TV is the 47" Westinghouse LCD with 1 HDMI input. No problems with the DVD player, but the PS3 apparently needs a firmware update.

8. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    Alas I was not able to find any firmware for problematic HDMI implementations. :( They had several for another problem.
    (Sony KDF-E42A10 here)