videoredo requires tivo desktip software?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by leiff, Jul 4, 2019.

1. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

i tried opening a tivo file from my new i3 laptop with my videoredo software and i get a message about my my TIVO MAK and tivo desktop software. I thought since i have kmttg and pytivo i didnt need tivo desktop. If I need tivo desktop can i get a link please.. thx!!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you had decrypted with KMTTG, then VRD does not need the Tivo Desktop installed, only partial. This is only required if you try to load a .TiVo file into VideoReDo.

You can still decrypt with KMTTG, use the FILES tab, load the files listing in with ADD button and with Decrypt checked, start job with the files selected.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe

You can install it, set the Media Access Key, and then choose the Remove Partial option in the uninstaller. That leaves the decryption layer behind, which is all that VideoReDo needs, and it still lets you play .TiVo files directly in Media Player.

IMO that works better than the other decryption methods even in KMTTG.

leiff, Mikeguy and dlfl like this.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    pyTivo Desktop also includes the filter needed to open .tivo files in VideoReDo...

pyTivo Desktop

JoeKustra likes this.
  5. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area

Advertisements

That's what I thought. I already have kmttg and PYTvo installed so I shouldn't have to install TiVo desktop then. I wonder what's wrong?

6. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Thank you for the partial removal recommendation. That's definitely what I will do if I need to install the software since I won't be using it

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have my pyTivo Desktop installed? That's the one that includes the filter. The way VideoReDo works is it uses the DirectShow filter included with TiVo Desktop or pyTiVo Desktop to decrypt the .tivo file on the fly. If you don't have that filter installed it can't read the files because they're encrypted. It's illegal for us to include the filter with VideoReDo or use any other sort of decryption. I include it with pyTiVo Desktop because it's free and open source and the rules are a bit different. (although I'm still not 100% sure it's legal, so I may have to stop if TiVo tells me to)

dlfl likes this.
  8. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Version 1.6.16. Dan haddix. Is that you? Are you also videoredo developer? My hats off to your work. Should I uninstall py TiVo desktop and reinstall? I'm bringing this laptop from my parents house who were using it with their tivo's on their Network. All our tivo's are attached to the same TiVo Mak by the way

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes I'm Dan Haddix. I'm the developer of both.

Yes, uninstall and reinstall pyTivo. There is an option in the installer to install the desktop filter. Make sure that is selected.