VideoRedo releases Beta with .tivo output

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by HDTiVo, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1 of 20
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

VideoRedo has posted a beta version tonight with the ability to output .tivo

This adds greatly to the convenience of editing .tivo files while keeping the associated program information - known as metadata - intact.

http://www.videoredo.com/

http://www.videoredo.net/beta/

http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showthread.php?p=15851#post15851

2. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey

Does this work FASTER than Sonic???? I seem to have a lot of problems with Sonic of lock ups and very slow editing, especially with long movies that were recorded at high quality.
    I am working on a pentium 5 PC with 712 of ram and it takes about two hours to cut out commercials or other junk out of a movie, because I have to wait for Sonic to catch up with me. Also it takes all night to burn a disk.
    I have stayed with Sonic because of the .tivo functionality. However I would move in a second if I could find something faster and not have to be a video computer tech. to get another program (Nero) to read the TiVo file.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I love VideoRedo ... it just keeps getting better. :up: :up:

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It is 100 times faster then Sonic! Not only is the interface much more responsive, but when you save the file it doesn't actually have to reencode the entire video so it only takes a couple of minutes.

Dan

5. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey

Advertisements

OK I downloaded the trial copy of video redo. I love the automatic commercial cuts. I saved my edited version as an mpeg file. However, I cannot get any of my DVD burning software packages to open the file to burn (Nero or Sonic). Windows Media Player will play the file fine.

What file format do I need to save the program in to have Nero burn it? I am used to the all in one program like sonic, where you do not need to worry about file formats because the program edits as well as burns.

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

First, if you are using Nero you want to make sure you are using Nero Vision Express. (Not Nero Burning ROM).

Second, not all versions of Nero are created equal. If you have an OEM suite, it may not have the necessary DVD plug-in (won't be able to work with MPEG-2 files).

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/SWW12252.html

Furthermore, it seems the transcode portion of Sonic & Nero are what take so long. If your .tivo files are in a proper DVD format to start with this goes much faster. Basic & Medium quality on Tivo are 352x480 which are a proper DVD format. That can help speed things up a lot. High and Best are usually 480x480.

"Official DVD aspect ratios are 352x240, 352x480 (1/2 D1), 704x480 (D1), or 720x480."

I always export from VR as .mpg for use in Nero Vision Express

7. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info. I had the Video ReDo file saved as a mpeg already. I open Nero Express 6. On the wizard screen it asks me what would I like to burn. I select burn DVD-video files. The next box in the wizard asks me what files to add. I choose my mpeg file by selecting all files because the only file formats that are listed for Nero to automatically pick up is .bup, .vob, .ifo. Therefore I have to go to all files. I click on my mpeg file and choose add. I get an error message that there is no compatable file format. What am I doing wrong? Am I using the wrong version of Nero? Should I be saving my file as a .vob (Video ReDo lets me save as this). Can you give me a step by step for dummies?????

Thanks!!!!!!!

8. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That's your first mistake. :) Not Nero Express or Nero Burning ROM, but Nero Vision Express. Their names suck.

If you had .vobs (from says running DVDDecrypter or something) you can run that burn DVD-files wizard and create a DVD disc again. That's not what you have.

You need to find Nero Vision Express in your start menu. If you don't have NVE installed you can download it. It is part of update package #2 for Nero6.

9. saramj

saramj New Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thank You - Thank You :) :D :) :D for all of your help! I am starting to become a fan of these forums again to actually be able to ask questions and get real answers. Instead of them just complaining. Now that I downloaded Nero VISION I created the DVD without a problem. Still cannot figure out why there are three different versions of Nero that all do different things.

But.... my other question is when I created the DVD the sound was very low. I played it on my PC as well as my home DVD player and had to turn the TV all the way up to hear. Is there something in the way the DVD is created to maximize the sound?

10. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Never ran into that. I do know there is a sound level setting in TivoDesktop. Not sure how it works or what it affects. I don't think it changes the .tivo file, so I wouldn't think it would help with the volume of your DVD. :confused:

But maybe it applies that setting when DSD or VR extracts the video/audio from the encrypted mpeg (they both internally are using TivoDesktop.dll or something to do their magic)...

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is actually an audio boost setting in TiVo Desktop, however it only applies to playback. If you use DSD to extract the MPEG data it will be the original data before the sound is boosted.

That being said there may be a way around it. Try turning the boost option up in TiVo Desktop then load the .tivo file into Nero. I believe that Nero uses DirectShow to render formats it does not internally understand. If that's the case then it should grab the audio after it has been boosted by the TiVo filter, which should make the audio on your DVD louder.

Dan

12. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    How do you load the tivo file into Nero? Nero doesn't recognize any of my tivo files.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I've never actually tried it myself, but can't you just enter *.* into the file name box and get it to show all file types? I know there must be some way because people have been using Nero to make DVDs from .tivo files since long before DSD even existed.

Dan

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    That was kinda my thinking with DSD and VR. I assume they are both passing the .tivo file through the DirectShow filter to "free" the file. Wouldn't it apply the audio boosting at that point as well. :confused:

Yes, with Nero just change to *.*. It works sometimes, other times you'll get the "screech audio/garbled video" bug in Nero Vision Express.

15. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    The first point goes to the question of whether there are two "stages" in seperate modules. Could be interesting to know. Experimenting with volume results via DSD and VR vs WMP is the way to knowledge. :)

One could also just change the .tivo file extension every time :eek: to get it visible in the Nero File Open dialog box. File might not work right though in Nero?

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are actually two "modules" in the TiVo DirectShow filter. The first is the source filter, which opens the file and outputs an unencrypted MPEG file. The second is the booster filter which is linked after the audio decoder filter and boosts the audio after it's been converted to raw PCM. If you render a .tivo file in GraphEdit you'll see what I mean.

Programs like DSD and VideoReDo capture the MPEG output directly from the source filter, so the booster filter never actually comes into play. Programs like Nero and TMPGEnc actually render the file completely and capture the uncompressed output at the end of the graph, so for those programs the audio has been boosted by the time they receive it.

Dan

17. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Good to know. I wonder if the audio filter is also geared only to realtime use?

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It is definitely geared at realtime use. In fact it may be the cause of the garbled audio "bug" people run into when using Nero sometimes.

Dan

19. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Its a little anomolous that Nero would use the audio filter since audio transcode goes many times faster than realtime. I could see Nero (or MyDVD) looking up the boost setting and doing an nX boost during transcode.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It doesn't actually work like that. What most programs that support DirectShow do is they use the built in graph builder interface to render the file. Then they go back and remove the audio and video renderers (which cause the audio and video to actually play) and replace them with capture filters that feed the uncompressed data into their program. Only at that point does their compression software come into play. Prior to that they're at the mercy of whatever filters your system chooses to render the file.

That being said I think the issue might be unrelated to the TiVo boost filter. I started thinking about it and I remembered that I ran into a similar "garbled audio" problem when writing my TiVo Desktop AAC plug-in (which also uses DirectShow). It turns out that in some cases the graph could get ahead of my code a little to the point where the sample I was using would actually get overwritten, or partially overwritten, by the next sample before I was done using it. I was able to solve this by putting in place a system that insured I was done with the sample before the next sample was even requested by the graph. However the problem was intermittent, and I could see where a company like Nero may not have had time to debug it properly to fix the issue.

Dan