VIDEO: TiVo Series 3 First Look (GearLive.com)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drusoicy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004

Advertisements

We got an exclusive first look at the new TiVo Series 3 DVR. We talked with Bob Poni about the unit. Check out the video here . We will have a downloadable version available soon! :)

Enjoy!

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    now that was cool. Straight from TiVoPony's mouth to our ear.

now it is all speculation on the ship time
    but elsewhere on the board someone said the box was already at Cable labs for certification.
    Megazone (who got a shout out from Bob) has been posting the series 3 "is ready to go into testing"
    and TiVo knows better than us the unit has to come out ASAP and the new CEO is one for getting things done.

So I disagree with your written comment on shipping slipping back to 2007 and still go with Bob's repeated "second half of 2006" timeframe.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    What disturbs me about this is the price range quoted in the story, not the video ($800 to $1,200)....that will be prohibitive, I believe for many folks. But I assume that is pure speculation and not based on any "unofficial" comments from TiVo folks. I'm still holding out hope it's more in the $500 to $800 range.

4. lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    I noticed the box was VERY responsive.. it's got some horsepower in there.

Intel Inside (tm) ?

5. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...

Advertisements

Hey .. I met you guys on the line for the Google KeyNote. Glad you made it to TiVo's booth.

-Roll

6. drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Really?? Which one were you? :)

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

yah that GRID guide just popped right up :up: :up: course it was only recording at the time

8. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    We all know it's just a Flash animation at this point. ;)

9. mbalgeman

mbalgeman Bagel Man

Feb 6, 2002
    I thought it was funny that the LED didn't actually work. The show titles displayed were not the shows actually being recorded.

10. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    :) Good catch!

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I though at first it had the wrong Guide data in it so the channels were all screwed up. But then on the grid guide Bob found Football and it was Football.

12. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...

5'5" glasses, balding. We discussed (of all things) TiVo. You gave me your card. You were considering leaving the line and wondered why not since you had an assigned seat anyway. In the end, you did not leave.

I tend to remember everyone I meet (at least vaguely).

-Roll

13. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Delicious!

14. Keith_R90210

Keith_R90210 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    FL
    Cool video.

Series 3 looks like it will be a sweet piece of hardware. I too am hoping for a $500-$800 price range at launch.

15. drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004
    From the impressions I got, this one will be more than $500 - although they didn't say anything official about that. The box is very responsive, and the new remote is greatly improved over the current one. headroll, I certainly remember you ;)

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the TiVo that I can answer for you.

16. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm now guessing December 31, 2006 for a ship date. They'll ship 1 to Pony and then ship in volume in 2007. ;)

17. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    The unconnected model that megazone photographed had the same readout, so I'd guess that it is a feature of the pre-alpha software. I suppose when you haven't finalized your hardware it is crazy to add bells and whistles to your software. Box did seem to work, and work well. And, of course, the readout would be correct if those were the shows you were recording... ;)

18. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Were you able to try out any of the DVR functions: playback recordings, pause, rewind, FF, etc.? If so, was the box response always as peppy as we saw?

TIA, and thanks for making the video and putting it online.

19. drusoicy

drusoicy Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Yeah, we did all the normal "TiVo stuff." Other publications weren't able to actually go hands-on with the remote, but we were. It worked great, and LOOKED great on the widescreen display even.

20. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The DIRECTV/HDTV/TiVo was $1000 when it was released.

I'm guessing the Series3 will be $1000 or more when it is released.

Why do people think it'll be $500-$800. Dreaming ??

The price range quoted in the story was $800-$1200.