Video Signal Not Available?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by John Slider, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1 of 33
    John Slider

John Slider New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Last Monday and this Monday my 9 and 10 o'clock shows were not recorded because Tivo claimed that there was no video signal available for my NBC HD channel. It's odd, because I get a signal for every other channel, even for the non-HD counterpart... Also when I switch off of the Tivo and to the regular cable box I can see and hear the picture clear as day! I know it works from 8:00-9:00 because Chuck records with no problem, Heroes and Journeyman on the other hand, do not.

I don't understand why! Anyone have any ideas on how to fix?

2. Oct 9, 2007 #2 of 33
    mchabura

mchabura Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I just posted earlier today a similar problem that I am having with my Series 2 TiVo (Toshiba RS-TX20).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5580214#post5580214

I've tried replacing the hard drive and switching from the RF In to Composite In. The only thing that seems to work is to reboot the TiVo, but it comes back after a few weeks. Anyone else having this problem? Anyway to fix it?

3. John Slider

John Slider New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    It just happened again, NBC HD cut off the same time it did last week. Wednesday from 9-11, and I did reboot... Any more suggestions? :( :( it's killing me!

4. bguzik

bguzik Barry R. Guzik

Jan 6, 2002
    McMurray, PA
    Hi John,

What kind of TiVo and what kind of CableCARDS? There is a reported issue in two other threads that sounds similar to your issue.

In case of SA cable cards and the new 9.1 release, one of the tuners/cablecard will cease to have video on digital channels. Does your other tuner work when this issue happens? (Hit "Live TV" to switch between tuners).

Check out the other threads. here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=369057

and here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=369192

5. John Slider

John Slider New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    That can't be it, because there have been numerous other accounts when I have recorded two HD shows at the same time and they worked fine. :(

6. Austin_Martin

Austin_Martin New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    were both of the shows always season passes, and none of them OTA?

Also, 9.1 only came out in the past week or so.

7. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I'm having the same issue as you are...

Started two days ago, the 9.1 update was last week for my Tivo

Before the 9.1 update I never had a problem with season pass recordings

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Based on posts to this forum, that seems to be a bug in the 9.1 software. One or both tuners go out periodically and a reboot is needed to fix it.

Tivo is now telling people over the phone that a software fix will be out very soon.

9. John Slider

John Slider New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    None of my shows are season passes, I never do season passes, I need to be sure I set it up myself.

I can't wait for the patch, if that is what my problem turns out to be.

10. tzone

tzone New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I think this might be my first post...

Anyway, I had this same problem 2 weeks ago on the older 8.x SW while using ATSC and I figured it was a glitch. I decided to sign up for the 9.1 priority list hoping that this would resolve my issue. Tonight the issue repeated itself on the same exact shows. At that point I decided to get out my camera to document the issue as best I could.

TiVo HD with priority 9.1 SW
    OTA ATSC only (I don't have cable)
    TV is connected via HDMI

TiVoHD reports that it is recording two things:
    Survivor China (13-1) ATSC from Sacramento, CA.
    This Old House Hour (6-1) ATSC from Sacramento, CA.

Pictures confirm. (More pictures in a followup post because of upload limitations)

/tzone

Attached Files:

11. tzone

tzone New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Diagnostic pictures screen:

Attached Files:

12. tzone

tzone New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Additional diagnostics images:

Attached Files:

13. tzone

tzone New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Last set shows signal strength and img_0813 shows that Survivor is being successfully recorded AFTER a reboot!

Also, notice that img_0807 shows "program lock: NO" where the other channel shows yes.

/tzone

Attached Files:

14. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Isn't this getting old?

A fix to fix the fix ???

Does anyone have a handle as to why this is happening?

Come on now, Tivo is not some new product on the market...

You'd think after all these years they would have there collective act together ???

Instead of throwing updates out there that make a bad situation worse... :confused:

15. posterChild

posterChild New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    First post here, but I wanted to document that I had the same thing happen on the same shows on the HD channels, both as season passes:

Two weeks ago, Journeyman (HD) wasn't recorded due to "Video Signal Not Available".

This week, Heroes (HD) was not recorded due to "Video Signal Not Available".

Now, interestingly, this week I was home and watch Chuck "live" and it was fine and available to the tuner. Somehow, after Chuck it lost signal and failed to recover before the end of Heroes. It did manage to record Journeyman on the same channel, although I can't say that it didn't use the other tuner. Also, for what it's worth, I have *not* rebooted my Tivo recently. I'll double check the SW version I'm running when I get home.

*shrug*

posterChild

16. got2golf

got2golf New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I am having the same problem with my S2. This is not a problem with signal strength or related to HD. Shows that should record are not. I have not been able to find an answer. Has anyone else?

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Issues with digital tuners were fixed in 9.2.

The 9.x code wasn't a fix. Based on posts to this forum, the 9.x software adds support for TTG and MRV which Tivo intends to enable next month. Tivo added official eSATA support with 9.2.

This issue is fixed in 9.2.

18. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    thanks for the info bkd

my esata drive will still be enabled if I allow this 9.2 update?

BTY.. I had setup to record the Nascar race yesterday... Did not record... "Signal not available"

19. rmastbro

rmastbro New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I am having the issue with "This program was not recorded because the video signal was unavailable". (Comcast with MT CC)

How do you know this has been fixed in firware 9.2?

20. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    thus far with the last three "updates" have created more problems then were offered to repair...

I serious doubt that 9.2 and beyond will correct these ongoing issues