Video ReDo vs. masterofpuppets

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jan 10, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I've got the latest release of Video ReDo, I used it to chop the commercials and halftime out of the Rose Bowl...the problem is that when I try to save it (as either an mpeg or vob), it has chunks of video that stick and become all pixelated...plus the audio isn't synced with the video in some spots...
    I also tried to do the same basic idea with a standard one hour show, and got the exact same results...
    Anyone got any thoughts on what the problem may be??? The .tivo file plays fine...

Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
    Used Galleon to transfer the Rose Bowl
    Used Tivo Desktop to ship the one hour show

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I would manually record a small 5 minute show. Just press record and then stop after 5 minutes. Quickly transfer that and see if and see if you have the same problems.

Just trying to verify that you PC side is working well. Sounds like you Rose Bowl recording may have a problem. Usually when there is a glitch (viewable pixelation on tivo side) it won't even transfer. :confused:

3. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    It wasn't just the Rose Bowl...I transfered over a regular 1 hour TV show, converted it, and had the exact same pixelation problem in parts...
    What happens is that the scene will suddenly freeze, there will be a "ring of pixelation", then I'll see a figure moving in the background of the frozen scene, that figure will become pixelated, and eventually the scene will start rolling along normally after that...

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Hmmm. You only see this when you edit the file using VideoRedo? Wonder if trying a different MPEG2 codec would help. Really just shooting in the dark.

5. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Yeah, I only see it when I edit with VideoReDo...the .tivo file itself plays fine, but that's obviously not burnable, unless I get MyDVD...
    How would I go about using a different MPEG2 codec??? That is my first forray into video editing/conversion...

6. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    If not willing to cough up dough, I usually recommend this one

http://www.cole2k.net/?display=Codec-Pack-Standard

Nvidia has a trial period on their $$$ one

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

I see the free K-lite one recommended quite a bit also (never tried it)

The problem with installing these is that there is no gaurantee that it will become the "default" codec. It gets messy real quick. MS has a decoder check-up utility link but it is not very accurate or useful.

There are more powerful tools like RadLight Filter manager to adjust merit values of your codecs to force one to be the "default".

Hopefully it won't come to that.

7. AllAboutJeeps

AllAboutJeeps New Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Did you try running a 'Quick Stream Fix' on the file? That has helped out some of my videos that were flaky. Also, are you using the trial version? If so, it limits the output to 30minutes, and could be causing some funkiness. Also, if you don't get any help here, try the Video Redo forums, they are very helpful.

...danny

8. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I tried running a Quick Stream Fix today, it didn't solve the problem...I have the full version installed...
    I installed the cole2k codec, and it didn't help...
    Any other ideas??? I guess maybe I'll have to head over to the Video ReDo forums...I hate registering for stuff...heh
    Again, forgive my video editing ignorance...but will that pixelation definately show up if I just burn the converted file??? Maybe I'll give it a whirl and see what happens...

9. AllAboutJeeps

AllAboutJeeps New Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    MOP,

I am like you and HATE registering for junk software, but I have been nothing but impressed with VRD. They are a great. No junk mail, no promotion reminders, just all in all no hassling. I think you will find the forums extrememly helpful. VRD is the first SW I have purchased in a LONG time that I felt I got my money's worth.

My only other suggestion would be to play around with other .tivo and .mpg files and see if it exhibits the same behavior. That would help them narrow down the cause.

I wish I could be of more help to you, but I am a novice at this whole video thing also. VRD makes you feel like a pro sometimes, but then a question comes up and puts you back in your place :).

...danny

10. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Have you *ever* successfully used VideoReDo or is this your first attempt? That could offer another clue...

My desktop PC at homehas been acting odd lately with audio/video stuttering and it turns out it may be related to some random DMA problem. I troubleshoot all day at work, I wish I could go skip it at home. (I also have a Mac and that computer has required various troubleshooting too.) Heck, even my HD tuner/dvd player is in need of a firmware update. That's it, I'm giving up tech - stone tablets is the way to go!

11. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Yes, I would also try to eliminate the Tivo from the equation altogether. Can you get ahold of a MPEG2 .mpg file from somewhere else to try it with VR?

12. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Another :up: :up: for VRD here ...

Are you editing the .tivo file directly, or have you converted it into something else already? I only ask because the ability to edit .tivo files directly is a relatively new feature in VRD and maybe this is some sort of bug you're experiencing.

13. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I've been loading my VRD project, which is my .tivo file, post Ad-Detective and cutting...
    At this point, I can't remember if I've tried converting first, cutting later...I'll give that a try tonight...
    I've got a bunch of music videos on my PC, I'm not real sure how to tell if those are MPEG1 or 2 though...again, this is not my area of expertiece...

Originally I used the TVharmony AutoPilot to convert the .tivo file, and I edited it in Nero Vision 4...but following all of my editing, and after 4 1/2 hours of transcoding, NV4 kept telling me something along the lines of "the DVD project couldn't be found" (I started a thread about in Off Topic/General...I don't remember the TVharmony output being pixelated...

14. dwgsp

dwgsp Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Perinton, NY
    Have you tried transferring the edited mpeg file back to the Tivo? If it plays ok on the TiVo but does not play ok on the PC then you will have least isolated the problem.

15. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I've never tried sending the mpeg back to the Tivo, but...
    This morning I converted the .tivo file to an mpeg via TVHarmony AutoPilot...and it played fine on my PC...
    Then I edited the mpeg using Video ReDo, since the ad removal thing with AutoPilot left some ads behind...when I saved it (as a mpeg again) it was once again pixelated, in the exact same spots it's always pixelated...
    As we speak, I've decided to give all editing (of the unedited AutoPilot mpeg output) in Nero Vision 4 another shot, it is currently "transcoding"...
    I've also posted at the VRD forum...I've received 19 reads and 0 replies as of my last check...

16. PatC

PatC New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Master, try doing a QSF on the unconverted tivo file first in VRD save output as mpg. I have found that for most tivo files the first second of the clip is usually pixelated and I edit that out as part of the commercial edits. Save as a new .mpg after editing and see if that works. Also, sometimes my tivo files get corrupted transferring to the PC using TTG.

In VRD I always QSF tivo files first, save as mpg, edit out commercials and any pixelization and save final file as mpg. Author and burn using TDA.
    HTH, Pat