Video Quality of Tivo Recordings vs Itunes

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by omelet1978, Jan 21, 2008.

1. omelet1978

omelet1978 Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hello,

I'm creating a DVD collection of my favorite shows. I recently downloaded a show from Itunes, and it seemed significantly clearer than my tivo transfer. The tivo recording (which I transfered to my computer) is about 1.5gb for a 1 hour show. The same show from Itunes is about 500mb and seems clearer on my computer screen. Am I missing something?

Oh, the quality of the tivo recording is the second from the highest- High I believe.

Thanks

2. bhaas

bhaas New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    MD
    tivo uses mpeg-2, apple uses H.264, which is a part of the newer mpeg-4. Better quality with smaller file size through more efficient compression.

3. fatespawn

fatespawn New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Chicagoish, IL
    ....however, downloaded HD content is the best quality you can get - better than the Apple store.

For example, if you have a 1:00 episode of a HD show recorded on a TivoHD you'll be looking at anywhere from 5-8GB's of an .mpg file. That would be the best picture you can get. Some cable companies re-compress their video, so you'd have to compare an OTA to the same Cable program to tell.

Now, if you are receiving that program (originally HD) through an SD source - perhaps you have a Series 2 and you're getting it through your Cable company, The cable company had recompressed the video to be SD. That decreases quality - and it's mpeg-2.

However, iTunes gets the original feed from the network and compressed it to mpeg-4 (h264)

So, if we're talking SD, both the cable company (or network in the case of a SD OTA broadcast) and iTunes compress the video, they just use different compression schemes.

HD, though, will always be better OTA than the iTunes store because they can't sell 7GB files and expect people with 768kbps DSL to buy it.

-fate