Video quality - Humax DRT-400 Tivo

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by pampalm, Oct 16, 2006.

1. pampalm

pampalm New Member

Mar 10, 2006

Advertisements

Last year we got a Humax DRT-400 TIVO which we used with our 6-yo Zenith TV. Since the video quality on the TV was not as prestine as the newer TVs we didn't notice that much difference in the quality once we hooked up the cable to the Tivo to the TV.

However, over the weekend, our Zenith died (blew up, smoke the whole thing). My son was visiting and felt sorry for me so he ran out and bought me a new 32" Philips flat screen. (Not plasma or HDTV).

The video is so crisp and clean when watching in TV mode but once we switch to Tivo, it goes down drastically.

Could we have rehooked it up incorrectly? Is there any adjustments that can be made? It's been pretty disappointing. Some stations are better than others...could it be the cable company?

Thank you
    Pam

2. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Pam,
    As the size of the set gets larger, quality becomes more of a factor. If you aren't already doing so, make sure to record everything in "High" or "Best" quality.

Unfortunately the DRT400 only will record 40 hours in "Basic" mode, and much less in "High" or "Best". Fortunately, for about $100 you can buy a 10x bigger hardrive and replace the stock one, if you can do it yourself or know someone who is saavy.

3. pampalm

pampalm New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    And where do I get the bigger hardrive? Does that void the unit?
    Thanks

4. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Well, it's a pretty generic piece. Any computer store. It's an EIDE or PATA hard drive found in most PCs. I think it will void the warranty of your unit. Better to wait until it's out of warranty, but I suppose if you have a problem you could always return the original hard drive to the unit before sending it in for repair......

Drive upgrades are the most frequently discussed thing in these forums. You can also buy pre-imaged drive for your TiVo from a few of the board sponsers, Weaknees & PTVupgrade, for example. Some will include the "special" Torx screwdriver(s) you'd need to do the job.

See ya,
    Roger

5. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD

Advertisements

... and yes, opening the unit DOES void your warranty. But if you know how to replace a hard drive, you've learnt how to repait the HIGHEST frequency-of-failure component on the TiVo, that composes, likely, over 95% of all warranty repairs :)