Video problems after upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by dbsanders, Jun 14, 2005.

1. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    Just upgraded my 240040 to a Maxtor 160GB. I used the Weaknees LBA large disk boot CD and everything seemed to go fine.

My problem now is that live TV seems to be ok, but watching recordings or even skipping back during live TV is not. Video freezes and gets "blocky" every 10 seconds or so. I tried setting the drive to quiet and performance mode, and it made no difference (except for the seek noise).

Is this a bad drive? It is a new Maxtor.

2. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tough call. It was my understanding that you're never, ever watching a 'live' feed. So what you see while watching 'live TV' is still the recorded image from disk.

But I'm not an engineer and can't really appreciate the potential for signal path differences between watching a recording in progress, a completed recording, or a trick play, IE: slow motion/rewind.

However, you may have really answered your own question. At the very basic level of diagnosing a problem, what changed most recently.

If your system was working fine before the upgrade, and not it's not, it's probably the upgrade. Can you re-install the original drive and verify it's back to no problems?

3. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    Thanks for the input. The old drive does work fine, and I'm sure the problem has something to do with the upgrade. Just wondered if this symptom pointed to any obvious screw up in my upgrade procedure, or if it sounds more like hardware.

I'm running diagnostics on the new drive now - we'll see what it says.

4. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Check your jumper settings on the new Maxtor drive and make sure it's set to "Master". Setting it for "CS - (Cable Select)" may be the problem.

5. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    I thought that was going to be the answer. It was in CS mode. I moved the jumber to master, re-installed the drive, booted, and same problem.

The Maxtor diagnostics finally finished its complete test and found nothing wrong. Also checked to see if 'write verify' was turned on (I read that it is enabled for 10 power cycles when new), and it is not.

6. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    i did a maxtor as well on sunday so far so good its a bit loud.. but i guess thats the 7200 rpm, other than that i am pleased so far..i just wish i didnt wait 1.5 years to upgrade my 40hr.

7. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    I used the exact same procedure with a new Seagate 160GB and it works great. I don't understand what the exact problem was, but it was something with that drive I guess.

8. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    All the series 2 TiVos that I have encountered have the drives set to cable select.

9. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    Strange indeed. I exchanged the Maxtor 160 with a brand new one, and got the exact same result. Choppy video, etc.

10. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    I have used a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160 GB PATA 133 (6B160P0040211) 160GB drive without any problems in a 24080.

11. dbsanders

dbsanders New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Irvine, CA
    Found an extra Western Digital 200GB disk, and it works fine as well. Really don't know what the deal is with my Maxtors.

12. sbhorns

sbhorns New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Hi replaced a the noisy HD in my Hughes DirecTV Tivo with a Maxtor 120gb 7200 RPM (ultra series), and have the exact same problem. The original HD replay is good, but the new drives replay is very choppy, lots of pauses, slow down, then speed up of video/audio, and pixilation in the video.

13. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Bought two Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB drives from Office Depot last week. Both failed the "Installation Confirmation SMART test" but passed the "Basic Quick Test". Video problems when they were installed in the TiVo. I have used many DiamondMax 10 drives, including the two in my 540SA2 TiVos. This is the first time I have encountered this problem. My bet is on recent firmware/hardware changes.

14. kdawg

kdawg New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    I purchased a pair of the same Maxtor drives for my Sony SVR-2000 Series 1. The video is extremely choppy. I also tried to backup my image to a single 160 and still choppy. To be sure I had a clean backup I restored to a spare 40GB Quantum that worked flawlessly. Specifically the drives are Maxtor DiamodMax 10s, model number 6B160PO.

Anyone else have a fix or suggestion?

15. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    I think this is the first systematic TiVo-incompatible drive I have encountered. BTW, did your drives pass the "installation confirmation" test?

16. kdawg

kdawg New Member

Jan 10, 2005
    By "installation confirmation" test I assume you mean the Maxtor MaxBlast v4.1 utility diagnostics. The drives passed the "SMART" test, the quick and long tests and the even longer "burn in test" which Maxtor claims is the utility they use to determine their drives functionality. So basically they both passed all tests. Not that it matters I also did a low-level format which I know really shouldn't matter but it couldn't hurt.

Out of desperation and hoping to salvage these hard drives into good use I am considering Instant Cake. Does anyone think this utility will work? Has anyone tried it? If not I may have to make a RAID out of the pair and stick them in my computer.

17. falc122727

falc122727 Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Loaded 2 120G Maxtor DiamondMax drives in a S1SA and got the stuttering. I was baffled and tried everything, until I read this thread. Looks like there's definitely something incompatible with the Maxtor DiamondMax and Tivo. I returned the Maxtors and got 2 WDs at Best Buy (great deal $39 after rebate) and they work perfectly, with not a hint of stuttering. Another thing I noticed is my internal temp is 3 deg cooler with the WDs vs the Maxtors.

Thanks for all who posted to this thread!!!

18. Ronin

Ronin New Member

Jun 7, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Has similar issues with three DiamondMax 10 160s in three seperate DVR40's. All three went throught PowerMax 4.21 full erase and full read w/o error before being used.

Video would play, but would just pause, then keep playing.

Replaced with Seagate 160s, and no more pausing issues.

When I replace the maxtors with the seagates, I noticed that the seagates use about .4A on the 12V rail, but the maxtors used about 1.25A on the 12V. The old maxtor diamondmax 9 used about .7A on the 12V.

I haven't researched it any more than that, but I think the diamondmax 10 just requires too much power to run in a tivo.

19. sonofsnood

sonofsnood New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Seattle
    had the same problem when I put my 7200 rpm Maxtor 160 gb in my Humax T800, pixelation, freezing, slow response when I rewind/fast forward...

then after using it for about 2 weeks, the number of times it errored slowly decreased so now other than making loud whirring noises when ff/rw, it's pretty much ok now

20. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Hmmm, that's interesting. Maxtor used to ship drives with write verification turned on for the first 10 power cycles. Maybe they're doing something similar to that function.