Video Problems AFTER 8.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cory_b, Nov 30, 2006.

1. cory_b

cory_b New Member

Feb 13, 2005

Advertisements

I've had an ongoing problem since the 8.1 update. Let me tell you about my setup... Series 2 - 40 hr upgraded with an additional hard drive, Comcast Digital Cable with a brand new Motorola cable box.

Before the 8.1 Tivo worked great. Now with the update, playback of video pauses randomly. It will stick for a second and then continue right where it left off. If you back up a few seconds it will NOT skip in the same spot, so it's a playback issue and NOT a record issue.

Problem 2, video playback does what Comcast calls "tiling", it's like a digital scrambling of the picture. If you rewind back and then play it again it is scrabbled exactly the same at exactly the same place, so this seems to be "embedded" in the recording.

I've called Tech Support and they say that my unit probably needs to be replaced. Any suggestions/feedback?

TIA,
    Cory

2. Dec 1, 2006 #2 of 11
    lfb

lfb New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    I have the same problem with the pixelating video after the update. I am in the queue for tech support right now with a 25 minute wait and I am not happy. I seriously doubt it's a problem with the box itself - the problem just coincides too exactly with the update that was pushed.

I have tested my TiVO with different, cables, video out/video in etc, and it's all the same.

There is even the video problem on the TiVO menu screen. It looks almost like interference, but I removed all possible sourcres of interference and it's still there.

OK, I have an update. Mine is fixed now. Evidently, the update was not completely downloaded (they could see this on their system). I had to go and force a connection, watch and make sure it went through 100% of loading, and then restart the TiVO.

HTH

3. Dec 2, 2006 #3 of 11
    MJGunn

MJGunn New Member

May 10, 2002
    I'm having the same problem with the video pausing for a second every 5-10 seconds, has made the tivo pretty much useless. I tried having it connect to the tivo service, it downloaded some info, loaded to 100%, I reset it, and nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

4. Dec 3, 2006 #4 of 11
    cstreetdude

cstreetdude New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    I have the same problem on one of my Tivos. It just started in the last few weeks. I have a S2 with a larger HD than a stock system but it has worked fine for over a year.

5. Dec 3, 2006 #5 of 11
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I haven't noticed the "pausing problem" (will look out for it though), but I have definetly noticed a problem with video quality...even on Best they come out crappy/ "digitized" looking, same thing when just watching TV

6. Dec 3, 2006 #6 of 11
    MJGunn

MJGunn New Member

May 10, 2002
    If you had the pausing problem, you wouldn't have to be looking for it, you can't miss it.

An update on my problem, I called tivo, and talked to 2 different people. The first guy tried a few minor things (restart the machine, etc) and then tried to get me to exchange the machine for $150. Said forget it, and asked to be put through to a manager. Waited for about 20 minutes, and then someone else, not a supervisor, picked up the phone. Told the person about the problem, walked through the same steps as the other guy, only to have her tell me that she didn't think it was serious enough to exchange it, and I should just wait for the next service update to fix it......fantastic service.

Popped my original hard drive back in, and everything is working fine. Connected to the tivo service, it downloaded the 8.1 update, and its still working fine. So, at this point either something went wrong during the update, or the hard drive is bad (I'm betting its the update though, the timing is just too perfect). I'll restore my backup to the 250gb HD that I had in there, and then let the software update again, luckily I didn't really have anything saved on the HD that I'll miss.

7. fastfader

fastfader New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I have the skipping/pixelating problem with two series 2 and one series 3 unit after 8.1. I came to the forum to see if anyone else had this problem. No one can tell me all 3 of my units have gone bad at the same time when they are all doing the same thing just after 8.1 upgrade.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Are your TiVos stock or upgraded ?

9. rkwalker

rkwalker New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    We are also having the same problems with two stock Tivos!

10. pjhartman

pjhartman excitable boy

Jan 21, 2002
    Omaha, NE
    It's back. Having the same problem on two 540140 units since the latest upgrade.

11. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Yes, this kind of perfect timing is common here. Hard drive failures peak right after upgrades because a previously unused partition is now the system partition. If the failure happens in that partition, you will never notice until an update occurs.

However, 9.1 installations appear to be wonkier than usual. Let us know how your original hard drive does.