Video Podcasts on S3 have bad sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rmassey, Aug 23, 2010.

1. rmassey

rmassey Damn, these are fun!

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    I view several Video Podcasts on my S3. Frequently these will have very bad sound (i.e. sounds distorted and/or speakers sound like a munchkin - yeah, like follow the yellow brick road kinda voice - I kid you not).

Not all podcast are bad and not all the time. I have not found the pattern, if there is one, to try to avoid these. They are so bad, I just delete them w/o viewing.

Examples - Loaded, Cnet Buzz out Loud, Car tech Live Video.

WTH is going on here. i assume it's a problem with the content provider, but I also collect some of these via iTunes on a PC and never get bad sound on these podcasts.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The exact same episode(s)?

3. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    are you asking same eps on S3 vs iTunes/PC?

yes, same episodes. No issues at all on the PC.

4. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    I've noticed this, but my conclusion is that the podcasts have audio streams that are not AC3 as Tivo Series 3 is used to dealing with. If you are like me, the actual problem is probably in your amplifier not switching modes to decode different digital audio. The audio plays fine from the analog audio outputs, just not through the digital outputs in my case.

I usually have to power off and on my amp to get it to decode it properly or play podcasts through the tv speakers bypassing the amplifier. I have an Onkyo amp and this is pretty much a known problem with this brand. Just ideas. Don't know what your setup or situation is.

5. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Loaded and Cnet work great for me - through my TV and my amp. COuld you provide more details?

6. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    actually I have an Integra 9.8 pre, so same company. Not too sure it's Pre-Amp related though.... as I send my S3 analog outs (L/R + s-Video) to an RF modulator to feed a MB TV via Coax. I get the same distorted/munchkin sounds on the BR TV using TV speakers from this coax feed.

I can play with the pre-amp settings, set it to direct or something and see if it clears up in the HT system, but I have my doubts.

7. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    like what? Happy to share more, just not sure what ya want to know?

My S3 is connected to an Integra 9.8 pre via HDMI for A/V. I use a Sherbourn amp (7x200 wpc) All regular TV programs on the Tivo (via OTA HD - CBS, Fox, etc.) are fine and never exhibit bad audio. All other source deivces (oppo 983, Ssung BR) are fine, no bad audio.

random video podcasts have distorted sound with no pattern that I can spot. Sometimes the same podcast sounds fine, the following week it's bad.

One example of a video podcast that is consistently good is HDNation. I have never had bad audio on this one.

One podcast that is more frequently bad is 'Loaded'. This one will usually have bad audio, but I will get the occasional clean one.

I get bad audio via analog S3 outputs to an RF modulator that feeds a MBR TV via coax(as mentioned above)

8. archangelsfv

archangelsfv New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I occasionally have the same problem with my S3, with CNET shows and sometimes YouTube; but never with Tekzilla or Revision 3 shows. Only way I've personally found to resolve it is to restart the Tivo

9. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado
    thanks easy enough, I'll reboot later 2nite.

10. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    SO the sound works through the TV, but not your HT, correct? Have you tried switching the audio output from your TiVo to see if the problem is the same on different outputs?

11. archangelsfv

archangelsfv New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I've switched outputs when I sometimes lose audio entirely on the TiVo, like when coming out of a ffwd. But this is different. As rmassey described, it's more like a chipmunk-y, buzzy, interference-y type sound; and only on certain downloads. Recorded shows playback fine, as does live TV and some other downloaded content.

I just figured it has something to do with how CNET and YouTube and select others may do their audio encode and something going wonky with the TiVo's ability to decode that particular audio stream.

Course I'm talkin out my butt a little bit, cuz I don't know how TiVo handles or processes audio... I'm just glad that it works and a TiVo's worst day is still better than a cable co's box any day.

12. archangelsfv

archangelsfv New Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Minor update to this issue and temporarily resolving it, as my S3 has demonstrated this behavior multiple times per week recently with the audio from CNET shows being very wonky.

Instead of rebooting every single time now, I have found that you can play an episode of another web video that does work, say in my case a :30 second Tekzilla "daily" episode from Revision 3, then go back to the original show experiencing the audio problem (for example, CNET's "The Apple Byte") and it's worked out the issue for the time being.

13. dcstager

dcstager 1st Gen Tivo Owner

Feb 16, 2002
    Skagit...
    CNET just uses MP2 audio instead of AC3 and the problem is not with the Tivo, but with whatever device is decoding the audio.

14. rmassey

Sep 5, 2002
    Colorado

not in my case.... my S3 in the HT connect via HDMI to an Integra Pre to decode sound. I use this same S3 via an RF modulator (S-Video + L/R analog) to feed the MB TV via Coax. If I hear bad sound in the HT on a podcast, I get the same bad sound on the MB TV speakers, which (obviously) uses a different decoder.

.... update: recently I have not noticed any sound issues on podcasts. Loaded used to be bad on a regular basis and most all episodes over the past few weeks are fine. :confused:

15. jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    No need to switch outputs in that scenario. Pause then Play does the trick for me.

16. newcx

newcx New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    I have the same problem with cnet and TWiT netcasts, and Tekzilla works fine. I tried running Tekzilla and then cnet, but no joy. I have to reset the S3 to get netcast audio working. That works every time, but is time consuming and interupts recordings. Has anyone found a better workaround? Does anyone think Tivo will fix it? Ha ha, just kidding!:D