Video Output Format keeps changing!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by oneguido, Jul 24, 2007.

1. oneguido

oneguido New Member

Sep 12, 2006

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of the video output format changing on its own? I have my setting at 1080i fixed. Everyonce in a while the picture doesn't quite look as clear so I go to check on it. Blam its set to 480p fixed or 480p native. It doesn't seem to be very consistant, but I don't think it's switched to 720p fixed or native yet, maybe 480i though.

I think it happens over night sometimes when it syncronizes via the internet. I've looked through this forum and the tivo support website and haven't found anything relating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chad

2. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    I keep my s3 on 1080i fixed (my tv doesn't change formats gracefully) and I've never seen this happen.

Is there any possibility that small children, pets, furniture, or gremlins might be bumping the nearly-invisible "format" button on the front panel of the tivo?

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    HDMI handshaking issues sometimes will mean the S3 resets to 480p in my experience. I just got tired of dealing with HDMI and it's problems & DRM so just go with component - no visible difference on my 47" 1080p Westy anyway. In the past I've also had software updates reset my video output settings (on 2 occasions that I remember).

4. oneguido

oneguido New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    lol... I never thought of the possibility of grimlins. I'll keep my eye out. We do have 2 cats. They usually don't go near the entertainment center, but I suppose when updated, they could be attracted to the pretty lights.

But thanks to you to moyekj, Handshaking could be a problem. I'm even using HDMI->DVI through a 4 port switch. I could definately see a handshaking problem as well as the software updates. I suppose its time to buy a new TV. We'll see if the wife goes for it :)

Thanks again guys!
    Chad