Video-On-Demand Black Screen with Audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lunara, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Lunara

Lunara New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Has anyone run into this before? I just upgraded to digital cable (Cox) and I've set up my system like this:
    http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1030.htm? The only difference is that there's a splitter on the system which by-passes the cable box so I can record one thing and watch another. Also, there aren't any jacks on the back of the tv, so there's a converter box. (I know, it's an old tv..) All channels except the Video On Demand, including premium, come in fine.

The thing is this, if I use the TiVo remote to go to the channel 01, it doesn't like it. It keeps flashing like it doesn't know that channel, finally it does come in, but as a 900 music channel (TiVo's Info button shows 01) the On-Demand window menu never appears. Same thing happens if I try the 199 HBO on demand channel. I've checked both and they are selected as channels in my Channel lineup for TiVo.

Now, if I use the Cox remote, I get the On- Demand window as I should. I can navigate the windows fine but anything I select, I only get audio - no video. Just a black screen. The pause etc buttons on the Cox Remote work fine in the screens.

I called Cox - they have no clue and want to send someone out. He never asked and I didn't think to mention that there's a TiVo and other components in the mix.

So, what do the experts think is the reason? Any suggestions? I hate to do it, but I think I may have to disassemble the cable box and try it straight from the cable in to see if it's Cox or TiVo. But before I do, is there something I'm missing??

Thanks in advance...