Video goes to grey

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Jan 15, 2012.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa

Advertisements

There is a guy selling an S2DT on eBay who says that the video goes to grey on a regular basis. Resetting fixes it for awhile and the screen can be grey but recording is still being done in color. I saw a couple of posts saying this is a know issue with S3 and S3HD on analog channels but that a CableCard fixes it. Anyone know about this issue on an S2?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I have never seen it on my four. Sounds like a temperature related issue in the video output circuitry or a bad power supply to me.

Of course, it could just be a loose s-video cable to the TV.

3. hillyard

hillyard Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I just had to replace my HD because it would go grey and un responsive to the remote. even after pulling the powwercord and replacing it. If there is a quick fix I would like to know as I have it in the garage now incase any parts are needed off it

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say you had to replace your HD, do you mean a Series 3 HD, the TCD652160, or the hard drive in your which model is it anyway TiVo?

5. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

What does he mean by reset? If he means a soft or hard boot, I'd think it'd have trouble recording in any color.

Is he using an S-Video cable with it?

When if goes gray, can the remote still access the menus?

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Not really sure about all that and didn't ask. I was sort of fishing to see if this might something that had been addressed previously. If it turned out to be a simple fix then it might be worth bidding on it. I think the auction ends today so I'm just going to forget about it. No sense taking on any new projects.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    With S2 DTs being given away or sold for $20, I assume this one is lifetimed, which means you can get some chipqwik and move the Atmel crypto chip to a known good 649 mobo if the price is right on the auction.

8. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Hadn't heard of that. I watched a video on it's use. I guess my old school solder sucker and copper braid methods need to be retired to a museum. :D

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The braid will still come in handy, you just need a big magnifying glass, lots of light, and a soldering iron with a very small tip.