Video conversion questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobster954, Aug 19, 2011.

1. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I have been reading tons of forums posts about video conversion from tivo to another format. Many posts are much older (2006-2008) and I am using a 2011 premiere.

Also, a lot of the software spoken of seems a little out of date.

My questions, based on forum reading....

1) in almost all forum posts they talk of converting files to 640 0r 320. Does tivo not use any higher quality, bigger video size when you transfer to the computer? I would like a higher quality than that.

2) Does desktop plus convert only for ipod and such? Not regualr size video like 1080i, etc?

All of the video posts I read spoke of ipods and such. Even the desktop talks about it. Yet none talk of higher quality, high def, or large size video.

I do not want garbage size 640x480 vids for video editing (which I want to do) but is that the only thing that comes off the tivo?

Not a problem to buy software, but all talk of ipod size video. Including desktop plus.

Does anyone actuall convert their tivo files to a larger size or is tivo recording it in such low quality as an only option?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Desktop (or any of the other methods to transfer from your TiVo) gets the file in its native format. You can use tivodecode or DirectShow Dump to strip the metadata & encryption and turn them into straight MPEG files. VideoReDo can edit .TiVo files directly without that step.

Desktop Plus will NOT convert to anything higher than 640x480 even if you add custom profiles. For that, use kmttg. It's free and you can do just about anything you want if you read up on ffmpeg or handbrake options.

Personally, I think it's worth $25 to get the Desktop Plus upgrade just so that you have all of the codecs needed to play .TiVo files correctly, but if you want to convert them to other formats use kmttg.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The OP didn't mention a particular TiVo model. The series 2 and series 1 (i.e., old) models will be limited to ??x480 videos, most commonly 480x480.

4. bobster954

bobster954 Member

Aug 15, 2011
    It said premier, 2011.

but I went and downloaded kmttg and tried it out.

it worked quite well. Saw my tivo, grabbed my vids, converted them to a nice quality..

comedy central show, came out 704x480, 29fps, 15000 datarate, 15,192 bit rate.

the show is broadcast in non hd.

I have to admit it worked well without me having to really read anything. Video opened in vegas video no problems.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...