Video Conversion Help - Native format desired

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jtcweb1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jtcweb1

jtcweb1 New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    First my setup:
    3 TiVo premiers
    Windows Home Server (HP Data Vault x310) with 7 TB of storage running pyTiVo
    Gigabit switch
    Wired network connections with CAT5 cable

My goal is to store all of my DVD rips and other video files in a format native to the TiVo, but still playable on a PC. The x301 WHS works great as a server, but is too light on processing power to do any transcoding or video conversion real time, thus the need for a video format native to the TiVo. Now I just rip the VOB files off of the DVD and convert to mpeg-2.

However I have to older stuff that is MKV. I tried using a program called mkv2vob and it will convert directly to mpeg. However I must be doing something wrong because a file that takes 5-8 minutes to transfer from a computer to the WHS takes 3-4 hours to transfer from the WHS to the TiVo. I am deducing that pyTiVo is having to do a conversion and it cannot keep up real time, but I do not know how to confirm this.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There are several simple ways to confirm. One is to look at the output of pyTivo. I re-direct the output of pyTivo to /var/log/pyTivo. With debug turned on, you will get something like the following if the file is not transcoded:

Code:
    DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=NO, all compatible, /usr/share/pyTivo/Unverified/San Salvador, Bahamas - 1998 (Recorded Mon Dec 06, 2010, Slides).mp4
    and something like this if the file is transcoded:

Code:
    DEBUG:pyTivo.video.transcode:TRANSCODE=YES, vCodec h264 not compatible, /RAID/Recordings/SlideShow/Cozumel 2000 (Recorded Mon Dec 06, 2010, Slides).mp4
    In addition, you can go to the <Info> screen inside a video in a pyTivo share in the NPL and towards the bottom of the info list it will tell you if the video will be transcoded when transferring. I'm not certain, but I think "debug = true" may have to be set for this to work, as well.

You can also simply look at the running processes on the server when a video is transferring to the TiVo. If ffmpeg is not running, then the video is not being transcoded.

Finally, look at the CPU utilization on the server. If it is pegged (or at least one CPU core is) just as soon as the transfer starts, then it is probably being transcoded.