Video and audio stuttering

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Ragsy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005

Advertisements

After a year or so of video and audio stuttering with several Tivo High definition recorders ( all HR10-250) I have noticed the following:

1. The video and audio stuttering occurs on OTA and Direct TV high definition channels. Neither OTA or Satellite is any better or worse with this problem

2. HDMI and Component are the same with this issue. Both have the stuttering issues

3. CBS, FOX, HBO and Discovery HD appear to have the least amount of video and audio stuttering. ABC, NBC, and ESPN HD are the worst, both OTA and on Satellite (West Coast Feed).

4. Live sporting events seem to have the stuttering more than prerecorded television shows.

The above observations would lead one to believe the problem is most likely a broadcast issue rather than a problem with the signal or receiver. It would be helpful to hear from others especially in the Los Angeles area, to see if you have had the same experience. If many in the LA area have the same pattern regarding ABC, NBC, ESPN HD issues being the worst, it would certainly point to broadcast issues. If this is not a general pattern in the Los Angeles area, then who knows what the cause of this problem is . . .

2. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Several months ago I experienced this on UPN during an airing of Veronica Mars. At first I paled thinking it might be a dying hard drive, but when I checked my second box I noticed that it too had recorded the episode. A quick check on that tivo indicated that the problem was indeed a television network issue as they both were studdering in the same place.

3. strack

strack New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Lake Worth, FL
    I have noticed the problem with ESPN HD, CBS & Fox (OTA). All happened during the NFL game or pregame show.

4. alv

alv New Member

May 6, 2004
    I have had the problem on XM channels - obviously audio only

5. whsbuss

whsbuss Advanced Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Phila, PA

Advertisements

Well I've noticed the stuttering on more than just HD and OTA. I get it on Fox News Channel as well.

6. May 2, 2006 #6 of 16
    SlyDog10

SlyDog10 Chicago Cheese Head

Jan 28, 2003
    Chicago
    I've been watching a lot of HD NBA Playoffs, and my HD Tivo is stuttering constantly every 5 minutes or so.

It happens while watching TNT HD and the NBATV HD channels (in the 90's). This is REALLY annoying.

Anyone have ideas why this is happening?

7. May 3, 2006 #7 of 16
    the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    I'm seeing this on standard def channels too. A satellite signal check seemed to clean it up for a few weeks but now it's back... I'm beginning to suspect it's a feed problem?

8. May 3, 2006 #8 of 16
    geneavallon

geneavallon New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    I get bad video on NBC mainly starting with the eveneing news, I get it out of boston and also out of R.I. and it is on bouth citys, national feed????
    gene

9. May 7, 2006 #9 of 16
    no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I have had this problem for a long time. Removing power from my TiVo, waiting a minute or two, then powering back up seems to resolve the issue for a short time...but it always comes back. It is very annoying.

10. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have the same issues. It is the worst on ESPN - during the draft and the Cavs/Wizards game on Friday.

I assume it is a network or DTV issue as it does not happen on all stations and it is not consistent.

11. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Changing channels on the tuner (make sure it actualy changes the channel and not just swaping tuners) usually clears it up for me. I just put a brand new HD in one of my units and it does the exact same thing. It seems to happen more frequently if the tuner remains on the same channel for many hours (i.e. overnight).

12. davahad

davahad Member

Dec 1, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I even bought a new HR10-250 to make sure it wasn't a problem with the hard and/or box and I still get the same stuttering. Especially bad on ESPNHD.

My Comcast HD box had never stuttered although it has it's own set of unique problems.

Tried compaining to DTV but of course they say no one else has seen this problem and they certainly have never heard of it. If you want to waste a bunch of time call DTV and complain about the problem. They'll listen to your complaint but will continue to say there isn't a problem.

13. Ragsy

Ragsy New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    I'm in total agreement. The stuttering is particularly bad on ESPN HD. Other HD channels have the problem, both satellite and OTA, but ESPN is the worst. I have complained many times to D* about this problem and have gone through 3 HR10-250 boxes with the same results. It is nonsense that they claim to be totally unaware of the issue.

14. thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL
    *wow*...I fell lucky I have had my second one for almost 9 months now and there is virutally *no* stuttering for me. I need to replace the HD with a bigger one but I am kind of afraid to. I hate to mess with a "good" setup.

T ;)

15. Bob5736

Bob5736 New Member

May 18, 2006
    I've gone through two HD10-250 and both have had video and audio dropouts that last from one to three seconds. The newest receiver had almost five minutes of no audio at the beginning of a show. I can't believe the problem is from the broadcasters but it might have to do with DirecTV's satellite OR its a problem with the HD10-250's design. I've been told by DirecTV that a new box is coming out soon which will take the place of the "250". I sure hope its better !!

16. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    I can give some advice on what I've learned. I get the NY HD Feeds through sat, and was going crazy on how many problems I've had, so I went out and got a squareshooter s-2000 to get chicago ota hd's. For a week, I recorded each show twice, 1 from sat and 1 from ota. Hands down, ota was a 99% improvement over hd. I had a couple glitches as far as exploding pixelation on the screen for 1/2 second and that could be due to location of my ota antenna, about 12 ft off the ground, but there are rose bushes that are steadily growing and can blow right in front of it. The only other problems I've had is sometimes music will play over someone talking or no speech for a few seconds, or the "switch" hasn't been flipped from returning to commercial to go back to HD, and those are programming problems, at least the SD one. The sound maybe the rose bushes again, but soon they won't be a factor at all.

I watched the sat program and then the ota program and it was night and day, prison break, 24, medium, all 3 law & orders, Desperate Housewives, Grey's anatomy, lost, alias, invasion etc. etc. The only channel I had problems with on OTA was our CBS affiliate as they're using channel 3-1 VHF and I knew that going into it that I might not get great reception. As soon as sweeps are done, it's up to attic w/ the square shooter to get the best signal possible, and be done with these horrific problems I've been suffering along with everyone else since Oct/Nov 05.

Not saying this is be-all solution for everyone, but it has worked for me.