1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vida (Starz) Discussion Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, May 28, 2018.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Anyone watching Vida? Surprisingly good show from Starz, premiered this month (May 6 2018). It's a 30 minute dramedy, typical format of premium cable, except it leans more toward drama than comedy.

It's about two Mexican-American sisters, not exactly friends, who have to come home to East LA when their mom dies. They're forced to interact for her funeral, and to figure out what to do with the barely breaking even bar their mom owned & ran. Of course, like all TV, they start to learn secrets they never knew about their mom (no, she wasn't a killer or an alien:p, this is a more grounded drama).

There is a second plot, the gentrification of Eastside LA, and the residents fighting it. The two stories quick intersect (do they sell the bar to outsiders, who want to tear it down and develop the land).

The cast is Hispanic, and bits of the dialog is Spanglish, although I have no problem following it. A really well-done drama, I find the two sisters and their relationship intriguing. And the rest of the actors, mostly unknowns, is well cast. The story moves fast, and is well-written.

There is some nudity & language, be aware if that kind of thing bothers you. Not much, and all context sensitive. Adds to the gritty realism this series is creating.

I recommend giving this a try. It's only 30 minutes, and knowing Starz, like many premium cable series, they'll marathon it before the season ends.

Martha likes this.
  2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    {hey, it's like talking to myself :cool:}

Vida Renewed for Season 2 at Starz

'Vida' Renewed for Season 2 at Starz (Exclusive)

This has become a very good series. Fast moving story, only 30 minutes makes it easy to watch, great cast, really interesting plot. Season finale was last week, so it's easy to binge, only six episodes.

Critics darling too. The series is certified fresh with a 100 percent rating among critics on RottenTomatoes.com.

Vida.jpeg

Tony_T likes this.
  3. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Cool, thanks for the heads up! I hadn't heard of it. Episode one is free via Amazon Prime.