VHF Reception

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fergusean, Sep 24, 2007.

1. fergusean

fergusean New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Over the past several days, I've experimented with different antennas and found that the Philips Silver Sensor (PHDTV1) is the ideal antenna for UHF transmissions. However, NBC is being broadcast in VHF and I need to find an antenna that I can use with a combiner to get a good VHF signal as well.

I have tried rabbit ears in every configuration possible, and they simply won't pick up the station. One of the antennas I tried - the Philips MANT950 - picked up NBC great, but unfortunately, some of the other stations were too weak... so I know I can get it... it's just a matter of finding the right antenna.

2. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    Are you trying for digital or analog? I ask because some stations will move early 2009 and will affect your long term setup.

3. fergusean

fergusean New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    digital

4. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Just to clarify, what are you using as a receiver/tuner? Do you have an S3 or HD Tivo?

As for digital/UHF/VHF issues, digital will be in the UHF spectrum. While NBC may be broadcasting an analog SD channel somewhere in the 2-13 range, their digital broadcast will be UHF. And you'll need an ATSC tuner to watch it.

5. fergusean

fergusean New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    I'm using an S3.

NBC is the only station broadcasting digitally in VHF. It's channel 11-1 with a frequency assignment of 10.

6. tmesser

tmesser Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Naperville, IL
    This is certainly not the case everywhere; many VHF stations are going to move their digital operations from their "temporary" allocation to their existing VHF channel. Take a look at the FCC's final DTV table.

7. jtown

jtown New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Well I'll be darned. I've never seen a digital signal in VHF but there are some in Anchorage according to AntennaWeb. (Just started in Anchorage since it was at the top.) 22 digital stations listed in my area, all UHF. (There are actually far more, all UHF, but many aren't listed.)

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    FYI, of the four OTA digital stations in my area, three are using VHF.