VERY weak OTA with HD10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by eddiwill, Jan 21, 2006.

1. eddiwill

eddiwill New Member

May 13, 2002
    Before my HD10-250 was installed, I was getting excellent HD reception with a little TERK indoor antenna running directly to my TV's internal tuner. After they installed the DVR, I plugged the antenna into it--no signal.

Thinking it might be some weirdness with the TERK and the HDbox, I went ahead and had DirecTV do a roof-top antenna install--same results. Excellent reception with the internal tuner, but practically zilch when running through the HD10-250.

Any ideas?

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It is very possible that your OTA tuner in your HR10-250 is bad.

You should not see a DRASTIC change between the two... A change yet, but not a massive change.

3. eddiwill

eddiwill New Member

May 13, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. They are sending another one.

I have heard these tuners are not the best. If I get more of the same, maybe I should request the another kind? (Is there a comparable unit available that maybe has a better tuner?) Or better to wait til they roll out the upgraded units (which my installer tells me is March--whatever THAT'S worth)?

4. Proc

Proc New Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Dearborn, MI

The tuner in the H20 is light years better than the one in the H10. I would expect it to be the same tuner in the upcoming D* HR20 DVR. I wish it was a Tivo still...sigh.

5. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The tuner in the HR10-250... is "okay" wasn't the BEST one they could have used, and it has a general "attitude" problem if it is not dealing with a nice signal...

But overall.... It is okay... Heck it has been out 2 years now... I would HOPE the H20 and the HR20 would have better tuners.