Very slow bulk transfer from old Tivo Elite to New Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BobVT, Apr 22, 2017.

1. BobVT

BobVT New Member

Apr 22, 2017

Advertisements

Hi,
    My new Bolt (1TB) is delightful AND I was extra delighted to find I could just copy all the shows I had saved on my old Premier Elite using Tivo Online interface. I have ~240 1/2 hour shows (Big Bang, and Good Eats) to copy. That copy has been going on for three days and at the current rate, three shows per day, it will take about SEVENTY more days to complete. Both boxes are on my WiFi. The signal strength is excellent and the wifi network is created by a latest gen Apple Time Machine. I can move big files around fast so I think the network is solid. I live in a rural location, so I don't think any external thing is slowing thing down.

So, my question to the community is: Is this about as good as it gets, or is there something I can do to speed this up??

Thanks,
    Bob

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First, if you look at Settings, Network, View network diagnostics, View transfer history, and check items 3 or 4. You will see your rate.

Wireless basic Roamio to wireless basic Roamio is about 45Mbps. Your Premiere is probably your slow device, since Bolt's have been tested at 300+Mbps. If you can, run Ethernet to your router, at least from the Premiere. I don't have a Bolt, so I can't give you the numbers.

BobVT likes this.
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Bob, are you saying that it's taking 8 hours for a 1/2-hour show to copy over? Assuming that's the case and it's a TiVo Online issue, you would do faster to install the new pyTivo Desktop (Easier to use pyTivo) on your PC, transfer the shows from your old box to your PC, and then transfer them from your PC to the new box. (And then, as a side benefit, you would have an archive copy of the shows on your PC.)

pyTivo Desktop is fast and easy to install, and easy to operate. You might have a few questions about the initial settings (there are just a few of them)--just ask.

BobVT likes this.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Both the Elite and a Bolt have MoCa built in. You should enable it and use it for transfers instead of wifi. It will be much faster.

ClearToLand, BobVT and JoeKustra like this.
  5. BobVT

BobVT New Member

Apr 22, 2017

Advertisements

Thank you JoeKustra for pointing out the "View transfer history." My rate was 13.5 Mb/s. Sadly slow, but it makes sense when compared to your wireless basic Roamio 45Mbps rate.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been proposed to enable MoCA on both units. That would be the fastest by far.

I never use the internal wireless. I do use wireless bridges for everything. So my transfer rate is 95Mbps to 100Mbps. Roamio to/from computer is fastest.

BobVT likes this.
  7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I get about 240Mbps TiVo to TiVo over MoCa. Now that is between two Bolts, so MoCa 2.0, but you should still get much faster then 13Mbps using MoCa 1.0 between your Premiere and Bolt.

Edit: just for perspective. The one hour show I started to check the rate was done transferring before I finished typing this post. Less then 2 minutes.

BobVT likes this.
  8. BobVT

BobVT New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Sorry, Mikeguy I'm an all Mac house. So a PC solution does not work for me.

The easiest next step for me is not MoCA, but hard wiring the Premier to my home Ethernet. Anyone have any data on if the Premier is significantly faster wired vs wireless?

Thank you all for these replies. As a long time TiVo owner (going back to an Series 2) I'm feeling the love and support.

Bob

9. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I really dislike you people. Try that with a Series 2 TiVo and a sucky wireless. ;)

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah I was testing pyTivo on an old S2 using a wired adapter and only getting ~8Mbps. A Roamio in the same room gets about ~160Mbps.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, wired is faster.

A wireless Premiere? I thought an external bridge was needed. My basic two tuner Premiere achieves 90Mbps when it's sending programs to my Roamio. It gets 65Mbps when getting programs from my Roamio. My router is very fast, as is my bridge. Everything is 802.11ac, but I have used a TiVo wireless N but never checked the transfer speed.

BobVT likes this.
  12. BobVT

BobVT New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Update: My Premier Elite is now CAT 5 Ethernet hardwired into my Apple Time Machine WiFi hub, previously it was using the TiVO wireless dongle. My Bolt (as before) is using WiFi.
    The transfer rate for a 1/2 hour HD show was 13.5Mb/s previously and it is now showing 60.5 Mb/s! Yay!
    That should speed things up nicely. Thank you all

Mikeguy and ClearToLand like this.
  13. BobVT

BobVT New Member

Apr 22, 2017
    JoeKustra: I checked and the TiVo dongle I had was model AGO100 which is 802.11g (top _theoretical_ speed 54Mb/s)

JoeKustra likes this.
  14. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Actually just plug the network cable of the elite into your router and do it that way, it will be faster. You can plug the bolt in that way too even temporarily

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's just because you have a killer wireless system. :)

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You're so nice. :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Some folks don't realize the negative impact an active 802.11b/g device has on a 'potential' 802.11n wireless network (i.e. the whole network switches down to b or g).

Thanks for posting your results! :thumbsup:

BTW, 40Mbps appears to be a good / acceptable / 'average' 802.11n speed on the various forums I've GOOGLE'd. I new to using wireless. After buying some new inexpensive routers from Newegg, which I use as Access Points, my new Amazon Fire tablets now get consistent 135Mps LINKs and ~40Mbps transfers.

18. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    My Roamio Basic and OTA have 10/100Mbps ethernet ports. What kind of Roamio do you have?

IIRC, @JoeKustra always posted that low 90Mbps were good transfer rates for the Roamio (Basic and OTA at least).

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a Pro, so it has gigabit.

20. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    I find it interesting that transfer speeds don't just scale up linearly by changing the NIC from 100Mbps to 1,000Mbps - as I pointed out, and asked yet unanswered questions about, regarding Windows Resource Monitor, threads, NIC teaming (in your PyTiVo Desktop thread), little things like CPU horsepower and HDD transfer rate also enter into the equation.

My underpowered Intel Pentium E2200 desktop struggles to average ~70Mbps from one Roamio, and ~120Mbps from two in kmttg (and HTTPS://TiVo IP PS); CPU @ 100% (mostly interrupts), DISK just idling ~10-15MB/sec while Roamio-to-Roamio does hit the low 90s as @JoeKustra says.