very low SNR with TiVo Bolt and tuning adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Matt Hoyle, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018 #1 of 29
    Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Hey, all, I bought a used Bolt via eBay just recently. I requested a cable card via mail from Charter here in western North Carolina and a technician delivered a tuning adapter and tried to set it all up. Long story short, he was unable to get it working successfully. He felt like it was due to a faulty RF input connection on the Bolt. (which doesn't seem loose at all to me)

He tested with his own coax patch cable and said level/power readings for the line (at the input of the TiVo) were within their norms.

And now the TiVo has stopped detecting the tuning adapter via USB, also. Anyone have a suggestion? I was considering requesting another tuning adapter but wondered if I just needed to install an amplifier in line somewhere...

I took a photo of the TiVo's diagnostics screen. At the time, for tuner 0, it showed:
    • SNR: 21dB
    • RS Uncorrected: 67108860
    This is TiVo Bolt 500GB with a Motorola MTR700 tuning adapter.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Mar 2, 2018 #2 of 29
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is rather low SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio)

You will find it higher if you connect just to the TV because it has just 1 tuner, but the Bolt has at least 4 tuners which is split internally.

Not sure if an amplifier will work since it also amplifies noise as well. Some Cableco can boost their signals.

Also, how is the tuning adapter connected?
    1. Split between adapter and Bolt,
      or
    2. through tuning adapter to Bolt

3. Mar 2, 2018 #3 of 29
    Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. The signal comes through the tuning adapter to the Bolt.

4. Mar 2, 2018 #4 of 29
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try connecting the coax directly to the Bolt, without the tuning adapter (as a test) and check the signal strength and SNR again.

5. Mar 2, 2018 #5 of 29
    Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    The SNR is moving between 9, 15 and 21, ThAbtO. THis is all on tuner 0.

6. Mar 2, 2018 #6 of 29
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Something is not right, it should not be jumping around like that.

You may need to have the line checked, loose/bad connectors, splitters, leading from the street.

7. Mar 2, 2018 #7 of 29
    Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    This line was connected to a 1-to-3 splitter which served our phone device and a TV box. Bypassing the splitter the SNR is up to 29dB and holding. Now have picture on the TV in the non-digital(?) channels , also. I'm figuring installing an amp in place of this splitter might solve that part of the equation. As for the non-responsive tuning adapter, not sure.

8. Mar 2, 2018 #8 of 29
    Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Thanks for your reply. Understood.

9. Mar 2, 2018 #9 of 29
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Are there any more splitters on the line?

-KP

10. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    No. Just the 1x3 here in the living room. I'd send a picture if I could! lol

There's also a splitter outside in the gray box mounted on the side of the house. It's currently serving 2 runs into the house.
    • Run A comes into the living room to the 1x3 splitter and the Bolt.
    • Run B comes into the dining room and directly attaches to a cable box.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Non-digital channels?
    Bolt only receives digital channels, no analog.

12. dirtsy

dirtsy Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Under the...
    I'm going to be blunt here, never-ever install an amp thinking it will help anything...you need a new, bi-directional, high quality splitter at the "source". Then also, a new, bi-directional splitter for the cable TV source at the TiVo...one leg goes to the TiVo, the other leg goes to tuning adapter. Then make sure the USB cable is connected between the tuning adapter and the top USB port on the TiVo (from my experience, it could be the bottom port in your case)...Personally, I think BAMF makes a great splitter! Search it on Amazon.

13. dirtsy

dirtsy Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Under the...
    Wow...this seams like a whole new mess. Just doing the calculus, there is potential for 13-14 bad connectors, and 3? bad splitters.

14. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Gotcha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

15. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    The splitter outside is Charter-installed. As is the one near the problem area.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Not sure what you mean by "cable box" for "Run B". Is this a cable modem or a TV set top box? If it's a STB, try moving it to the living room and connecting to the cable that now feeds the TiVo/TA. Does it provide good TV tuning there? if so, this pretty much points the finger at the TiVo/TA setup as the problem. SNR of 29 dB possibly is marginally OK but typical values would be around 35 dB and should be obtained regardless of how you connect (or don't connect) the TA.

17. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    cable box = TV set top box

Thanks for the reply, @dlfl .

18. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    sounds like a bad splitter inside, and/or possibly cable connector issue(s), but either way, charter should fix this if they were just out. no way the installer should be able to get away with leaving you to fix this mess.

19. Matt Hoyle

Matt Hoyle New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    I'm tending to agree with you now, @NorthAlabama. Installation of an amp has got the Bolt working. Just ordered another tuning adapter via eBay. I figured that would avoid any ongoing monthly charge for it anyway.

THanks for everyone's comments/suggestions.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I'm pretty sure that's not going to work for you (like buying your own CableCARD). The Tuning Adapter has to be registered in their system to work and I'm not aware of any cable company allowing you to register your own.

You might want to cancel that order....

Scott