Very important: 6.3a Success with 2 Disk HR10-250?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jkast, Sep 30, 2006.

1. jkast

jkast New Member

Mar 31, 2005

Advertisements

The following thread poses a question which, despite the Thread title is NOT answered as on now: Is the 6.3a Upgrade executing successfully for those who have added a second drive to their unit? (and Does it work for those who have expanded both drives as I have?)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=319432

I have the message saying to keep my phone line plugged in so I can receive the upgrade, but if it is going to kill my two Expanded HR10's, I want to unplug that line before the upgrade occurs on my units. As of right now it has happened on neither of my units....

Here's the key question. Do you have an HR10-250, which

1 has been expanded to a two large drive unit box (please say what you did if so)

2 that has successfully installed 6.3a and is working fine?

or

3 that has installed 6.3a and is NOT working?

2. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    I have an HR10-250 with a second hard drive inside it. (250 + 160)

6.3a installed with no problems (as of yet)

3. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Works for me with 2x300GB in it.

4. bluntedat420

bluntedat420 New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    SoCal
    You're right...I tried to change the title of that thread today, but I couldn't.

My HR10 that is/was acting up is a 2x300G upgraded unit. I have functionality that seems okay, but I'm concerned about the fact that the initial upgrade did not go without a hitch (continous reboot loop until physically unplugged), and that 12 hours after the upgrade, the unit was again rebooting until unplugged.

I'll report back tomorrow and see how things go.

I have one other HR10 with 2x500G (replaced 2x300G, I got confused in the earlier thread and thought that one was the one rebooting) that hasn't received the update yet, and I'm tempted to unplug the phone line until this fleshes out.

5. Sorbon

Sorbon New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    ca

Advertisements

I woke up this morning to see a message that my WEAKNEES expanded 300GIG system had a pending software upgrade pending restart. Not wanting to wait I reset my system properly and it NEVER recovered. It never gets past the welcome screen. After calling weaknees they said it would have to be reformatted and I would loose everything!!!! ANYBODY have any idea what to do to fix the problem?? :mad:

6. jkast

jkast New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Another forum entry reporting a 6.3a installation failure with an expanded TiVo...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=319621

Would sure like to hear a few more successes on 2 drive systems. Thanks to rifleman69 and btwyx for reporting their successes. Have not heard a success from anyone with a 500gb or 750gb drive in the unit. Does anyone have one?

7. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
  8. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    btwyx, you're correct... I upgraded one of my HR10 witha 750gb & still waiting.

Other HR10 is stock, still waiting on that one also. It was a replacement for one that would not boot after getting the upgrade first day out! Talk about getting the candy taken away!

I'll post when the 750gb gets the upgrade.

One note, I had left the swap at 127 during the upgrade, so I hope that does not cause any issue. We'll see..

9. jkast

jkast New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    I have a 750gb and a 500gb in one of my as yet not upgraded units. That's the reason I'm so interested in whether on not folks with large drives installed are upgrading successfully to 6.3a.... I want folders, but only if it does not destroy all my recorded shows.

10. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    jkast, did you add/change any fans after your upgrade.

I have not after replacing 250 with single 750. Case temp is around 46c. I'd like it to be cooler, figure that would be better for the components over the long term.

11. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Mine has dual 320g hdd's. Loaded with PTV's instantcake cd. I did the 6.3a upgrade and everything is working great, didn't loose a single recording and it has yet to miss recording a show or have any problems.

That being said, for the first couple hours after the first reboot after the install the unit was SLOW. So if you manually initate an install of 6.3, I'd do it at night after your recordings for the day are gone. I tried my TIVO the next night and it's been great ever since. I did however loose the hacks the instant cake cd gave me.

12. jkast

jkast New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Freightdog, I have the weaknees twinbreeze brackets in both my HR10's. There's a fan that comes on the bracket. One of the units is typically 37 degrees C, the other just about 40c.

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If a drive fails during the upgrade it is merely a coincidence and it was probably on its way out already. Chances are there were some bad sectors on the alternate partition and when the upgrade swapped partitions it caused the drive to fail or go into an endless reboot loop. Having a dual drive setup will make absolutely no difference when it comes to the 6.3 upgrade. If it worked fine with 3.1.5f there is no reason it will still not continue to work under 6.3a. The OS merely sees the Tivo as having a couple of extra partitions and should be OK with that.

FYI - I have three dual drive HDTivos and they're all working fine with 6.3a. I have also upgraded several others with dual drives using 6.3a and they're working fine as well.

14. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanks jkast. I think I'll order one.

15. WO312

WO312 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Most of my Tivos have the Weaknees bracket and typically I see a 5C drop in temp after I installed it.