VERY disappointed in Tivo for the first time

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JuryDuty, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Tivoholic

Jan 10, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX

Advertisements

So I discovered today that when I upgraded to Tivo Roamio 2 years ago, they didn't cancel my old unit. Monthly, I've been paying for TWO units--my new and old one--both $15 each. That means I've paid nearly $350 on a unit that hasn't even been active.

I admit I should have noticed sooner, but these bill separately on my bank account, so for two years I've just seen $15 for Tivo and didn't think twice about it...not realizing I'd been getting double-billed.

So I called today to have that second unit removed and the best they can do is refund $15 for last month's payment. That's it. No compensation by giving me a deal on Lifetime or anything. Just $350 out the window. "Sorry. Those are our terms and policies." The CSR went on to say that she didn't agree with corporate, but there's nothing she could do.

Are you kidding me? And then get this--she said she could get me lifetime on a refurbished Roamio for $250, but if I wanted lifetime on my current Roamio, it would be $399. Because "those are our terms and policies." LOL they would save money if they didn't ship me a refurbished unit, but they won't do it.

For the first time, I'm very disappointed in my experience with Tivo.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Why is this TiVos fault?

3. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Ouch, that burns. Where has the old unit been this whole time? Do you have any details from the cancellation? Someone else posted they were given a case number in case follow up was needed. At a minimum they should at least credit you for the lower rate on the second subscription since they were billing you the full amount on both.

4. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I hate to be blunt but it's kind of your fault. Almost 100% your fault. Unless you specifically told Tivo to cancel your other box why would they do that on their own.

Sorry, but this seems to be on you.

5. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013

Advertisements

It is weird to me that people can be charged something and not notice. I see every single transaction made on any and all of our accounts.

6. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Tivoholic

Jan 10, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    As I indicated above, it's not entirely. But:

1. Their systems should be smart enough to realize that if a Tivo isn't active for 2 YEARS that maybe the person shouldn't be paying for updates.

And more importantly:

2. When I called and said, "My Tivo died, I want a new one," they should have taken it as a cue to cancel the old one.

7. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    It is unfortunate and TiVo's policy. Sorry that you didn't notice for so long, that sucks.

8. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015

I assume you explained all that to the CSR. Did they escalate it for further consideration? Did they at least explain why you weren't at least getting a discount on the second sub?

You could request a chargeback from your credit card company stating they were charging you for service on something that didn't work. Not sure if that will work but you could try. They are limited in how far they can go back.

I am not saying TiVo is to blame for any of this. I too have a few credit card charges that have gone unnoticed and it's a pain to work out.

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I paid for more than decade of NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV despite the fact that I hate sports and specifically refused their offer of a free trial when I signed up. You gotta check those bills...

A few thousand dollars lost was my wake-up call.

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Sorry, you have no reason to be disappointed in Tivo. You should be 100% disappointed in yourself. When I canceled my old Tivo I received a confirmation number. Your an old timer here (since 2003), you should know how to cancel a Tivo.

11. JuryDuty

JuryDuty Tivoholic

Jan 10, 2003
    Fort Worth, TX
    I called back. The second CSR was MUCH more helpful. He said there's nothing he could do for what I'd paid, and that the monthly charge was $13.95 for one and a multiservice discount of $13 for the second (which made no sense) but he said that's because of the generations difference.

But then he put me on hold for a few minutes, and came back and offered me lifetime for $199 on my current unit, which takes a bit of the bite away.

He said, "Aren't you glad you called back?" :)

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yet another "I should have checked my credit card charges" thread. Wonder what the count is?

Assuming it's technically possible, it would be nice of TiVo to refund charges for TiVo's that don't phone home going back some reasonable maximum period, say 6 months. But nothing obligates them to be that nice.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You should go into your TiVo account and check billing periodically. This is what I do to make sure any past or present bills are correct. Although the only monthly billing I have is $6.95 for a Roamio Basic.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We've seen these threads before. Best case they will refund you the last 3 months. That's the max their system will allow.

15. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Best bet, just purchase lifetime from day 1.

16. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    $200 lifetime is good enough in my opinion, I say take it and be done with it.

17. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    keep in mind that TiVo was paying costs even if you weren't using the service. the guide data is not free, for example.

18. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Any why would TiVo spend the money to set up a system to see if the TiVo was calling in, as some people have a 2nd or 3rd home and may unplug their electronics when not in one of their homes, and expect it to work when they went to that home, the best answer is Lifetime so you will never have these problems.

19. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Wow! You didn't even bother to cancel your subscription. That's anew low for this type of complaint against tivo.

No it shouldn't be. It is 100% your responsibility to know what you are being billed for - 100%

No they shouldn't have. Your should have specifically canceled your Tivo.
    Everything you say tivo should have done is entirely your responsibility. You should take responsibility for your own negligence rather than trying to find someone else to blame.

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Wow