Vertical Storage?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Solman, May 30, 2011.

1. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    I am setting up my old tivo series 2 up in my backyard (covered patio) where I have electric but no cable. My idea is to use MRV to fill up the tivo with watchable shows from my 2 tivo series 3 tivos in my home. My question is can I install my tivo in a vertical position (like a desktop pc-vertical)? I live in southern calif, so moisture is not a problem. I just wonder if it would be a problem if the unit is stored (& used) in a vertical position.

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    At your own risk... though I couldn't find an official TiVo link.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You won't be able to transfer any programming that is recorded in HD to the Series 2.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My concern would be with the heat. How hot do you expect it to get under that covered patio?

5. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    A Tivo box has no position restriction, the only moving part is the hard drive and they can be mounted any position. The biggest concern is leaving an electronic box that was designed for indoor use, outdoors. While moisture may not be a concern, heat, bugs and rodents are.

6. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    The climate is mild here. Summer is in the 80's, very few bugs, and dry climate with very little rain. I will bring it in during the winter. My question pertains only to position. I actually had a TV that I used in the same place for more than 10 years. It was old and I was not concerned that it would get ruined, but I must say 10 years is more than I expected and it still worked when I traded it for a larger flat screen. I wanted the Tivo vertical so I can mount it vertically to a post for the roof. The TV will be attached with a quick release wall mount and will be stored inside frequently, whereas the TIVO will be left outside except for the winter (wet) months.

7. Jun 2, 2011 #7 of 12
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I would suggest that you turn it so that the fan is nearer the new "top" than it is near to the new "bottom" so that the natural inclination of hot air to rise is working with the fan rather than against it, and the holes that were on the bottom of the TiVo and are now on the new "right hand side", you might want to get some thin HEPA filter material to cover those since gravity won't be as big a help in keeping dirt out as before.

8. Jun 2, 2011 #8 of 12
    Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    Actually the "new front" will have the front face the right. In other words, The Tivo will lay on its left side rather than its bottom. I still need the front to face me so that the remote works. If you can imagine taking your tivo from its current position and rotating it so the bottom of the machine now faces the right (or left for that matter). If you can imagine, I just need to strap it to a support post that serves as a support for the roof.

9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 12
    jkovach

jkovach TiVoing since 1999!

Feb 17, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    I really recommend against this. Think about outside temperatures. Not the max temperature, but the variability. We all know that all of those electronic goodies mounted on circuit boards have a tough time dealing with temperature changes, due to expansion and contraction.

In your home, the temperature is climate controlled and doesn't usually vary by more than 10 degrees in a 24hr period. Now throw in low humidity, outdoor temperatures and you can have as much as a 30 degree difference between nighttime lows and daytime highs. I know if I were a piece of electronic goodness, I wouldn't want to be subjected to that. Something will give out, much sooner rather than later.

Just my opinion...

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    New front?

Who said anything about a new front?

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it were sitting out there not plugged in it would be subject to the temperature variations you describe, but plugged in it will be generating heat the entire time, and the fan will come on as necessary to keep that heat down, so the internal temperature probably won't vary as much as you fear. Still, I'm not real crazy about the idea keeping this unit outdoors either.

12. Solman

Solman Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Diamond Bar, Ca
    "New front" was a term I am using to describe the repositioning of the unit. Mentioning how the unit is placed by which way the front faces is what I am referring to. I also think that the heat the unit produces will zero out the temperature differences. Lastly, I have two other tivos, both being series 3 units that I record only certain shows on HD so I still have a lot of shows that will transfer in sd. Also, this unit is rarely used because of how I wired my home. I can send any signal (either tivo, straight cable, DVD changer) to any TV in the house. Therefore this tivo is more expendable, though it does have lifetime on it. That means I'm more willing to take a chance with it.