Veronica Mars s4 e08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Robin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...

Advertisements

One way/or another/I'm gonna find ya/I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha...

2. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Holy cuss!

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Cuss cuss cuss cuss!!!!

4. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Yeah...

I don't have to spoiler tag this, right? I'm on the right thread?

Cause here's the thing.

Rob Thomas is dead to me. That was gratuitous and punitive. And I'm out.

5. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I saw no reason for that either

Lori likes this.
  6. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    That was just unpleasant.

Lori likes this.
  7. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    SAME
    I did not sit through 4 seasons of drama with these two for it to end this way. No thank you.

Lori likes this.
  8. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    And finished. Why are we spoilerizing that ending?

Some thoughts:
    • I missed the original opening theme rendition
    • It’s not a big deal but did they have to copy True Detectives opening credit style
    • They advertised this as darker. I would only apply that to the ending the rest seemed somewhat similar to the movie
    • The cameos were fun but it made it feel more like the movie
    • It seemed more like a transition to a darker wounded Veronica for future adventures
    • Now we have a mini Veronica
    • It’s been a while and I really missed her snarkiness
    • I wonder if the person playing the character that was offed felt about that.
    While I very much want more, I felt the first season had a much edgier storyline and character development. Other than the end I don’t think they changed a lot.

what say you all!

Robin likes this.
  9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Well, by the Rule of Q we knew from the first episode it was Patton Oswalt's character who was the bomber; and once Logan showed up for the wedding we knew he was a dead man. (The writers all remember "Moonlighting" and would not make that same mistake.)

And about not being darker before the last episode; perhaps you didn't see the kid's head blown off on camera? Or the other severed heads scattered here and there? S&P wouldn't have let that by on network TV.

I think this is the payoff we were all hoping for but didn't get in the movie. Eagerly awaiting another season. Maybe I'll rewatch this one and look for more Easter eggs.

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Binged the whole thing Sunday. Just finished. Obviously I’m sad about the ending, but I thought the season overall was great.

I wonder if casting Patton Oswalt as a murder junkie had anything to do with his real-life connection to civilian crime solvers (his late wife wrote the book that was largely responsible for the capture of the Golden State Killer).

11. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Considering that I deleted my season pass, deleted my watch history, and told Hulu to never recommend this show to me again, I think it’s safe to say that it’s not the pay off we were all hoping for.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  12. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    When I think of Dark I think of something like Jessica Jones where the bad guy plays mind games not so much pseudo gore. They added some swearing and fake swearing which was fun plus lots of drinking and some vaping but it mostly still felt like the movie to me.

13. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Some thoughts about the ending:
    They never actually say Logan died. We just assume it from the explosion, the way they flash back it in her mind just before the explosion, and of course her somber mood. Then they do this one year thing showing everybody moving on and V appearing to be alone.

So one speculation is the police car approaching in the final scene actually was the Police who got info from Penn that there was a bomb in the car and pulled Logan away in the nick of time.

Then Veronica comes to the realization that she is poison to Logan and tells him to leave and he goes back to serving. Maybe he then gets killed overseas or since Penn is still alive they need to keep him publicly dead. They did something like this in one of the Mission Impossible movies. The therapist is a nice moment to deal with it all.
    I notice she is still wearing rings but I don't remember if thats what she use to wear.

Just a thought since they left it open.

[/spoiler[

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think this is ridiculous. They did not leave it open.

15. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
  16. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I hear Rob. I do. But he wants to make a very different show than the one I want to watch. So, no hard feelings, Rob. Thanks for the memories, and all that.

There's a line between dark and tossing bleak and hopeless. I don't have the mental fortitude any more for bleak and hopeless.

photoshopgrl likes this.
  17. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Thanks for sharing!!! I suspect Robb wrote it that way just in case the suits want another direction. After all getting it picked up first is job one.

He has flexibility in Veronica being single. I do agree its opens the door to a more tortured Veronica and other love interests. It's interesting to not even reference that he is dead in the epilog. He does not talk about in the linked piece why they chose that epilog presentation other than maybe she does not want to acknowledge it. There are a lot of website reviews with the headline "Is he really gone?".

Here is a quick interview with Jason and he says he is probably dead but never say never.

18. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The show has always had a bit of soap opera to it, and the first rule of soap operas is that no one is really dead if you didn't see the body ... and even if you did see the body, there's still a better than 50% chance the person isn't dead.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Read that interview with Rob Thomas.

Let's stop the ridiculous discussion about whether Logan survived. If they ever make more episodes and it turns out I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it. But until then, the show very clearly presented to us that Logan was killed by that last bomb. And in that interview, Rob Thomas explains that he knows it won't be popular with some of the fans, but that he felt he had to do it in order to keep open the option of making more seasons of the show in the future. He doesn't think a film-noir detective show where the heroine goes home to her husband at night really works, or at least it's not the kind of show he wants to write.

20. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Lets ask Bobby Ewing about that! :)