Veronica Mars s4 e02

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Robin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Have at it, Marshmallows.

2. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I liked this one better than the first, now that the Mexicans are in the US. "Speak English!" "What are we going to do with this extra head on the counter"

Veronica's cavalier attitude towards Logan's mental health. Eek.

Dick understands Veronica now that he's played a detective in a movie. :D

Now that they've talked about the makeup case I guess it isn't that. The gum in the vending machine?

Liam hasn't aged a day. Nice encounter with Veronica Junior.

The hulu product placement was rather cringe inducing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  3. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Yikes!!! It was great to see Dick in the opening scene... I was shocked that they killed him off immediately!!!

Whew... and then the reveal that he was an actor playing an undercover cop... Phew!!! What a relief.

Season 4 continues to captivate me!

4. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It took me a minute to place Liam. Glad I got there before Veronica had to tell us who he was. So far I like the show's generally subtle callbacks to the CW seasons without beating us over the head with nostalgia.

Speaking of which, it seems odd that the show went to some lengths to recreate the Mars Investigations offices (which were different in the movie) but Neptune now has a modern-looking police department with a morgue, where before it just was served by the county sheriff.

I can't tell if we're supposed to like or dislike the captain. I suppose the show is trying to walk a line, so far anyway, of not wanting her to be a nitwit like the Lambs but also not too much of a threat to Keith and Veronica.

I didn't much like the country hick family. Feels like the show could have eased up on that stereotype and still made the case for why the guy's family didn't want him with the girl.

The original show never tilted Veronica into being an antihero, but I always appreciated how it was willing to show her in an occasionally unflattering light. That continues here with her treatment of Logan so far. I'm not protesting her dissatisfaction with a change in Logan's affect, because you're attracted to what you're attracted to, but her indifference (so far) to the reasons behind it is not a good look for her.

Rob T. warned in advance that this season was going to be a hardcore detective show, and that's certainly playing out in tone. The original series was obviously very dark at times, but it was also hysterically funny and often very light on its feet. There's been some humor here, but even the always-welcome byplay between Keith and Veronica feels a little weighted. These first two episodes, bombing deaths aside, have proceeded fairly grimly. I spent this episode recalling Veronica's season-opening voiceover: "I thought Neptune needed me and I needed it. I was wrong" (or words to that effect). She doesn't seem happy already and it feels like things are going to get worse.

On that note, here is some speculation based on something I unwittingly heard about the end of the season. If you've already finished the season, I'd prefer you not react to this comment; I'm putting this here just as a marker for myself. If you've only seen through this episode and you don't want even a hint of what is to come, don't read the spoiler text.

I've heard that the end of the season is fairly dark. Separately, I accidentally read the title slug of an interview by Alan Sepinwall with Rob T in which Rob was quoted as "having to take a deep breath" in how he ended the season. I'm afraid Keith dies. I'm already wrecked at the possibility and I don't even know if it's true.

5. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Member

Sep 17, 2015
    This show was only on The CW one season, and that's when I watched a few episodes. Any references to that time are lost on me. I'm here for Pizza Guy and that's about it. And J.K. Simmons. And Veronica is cute sometimes. Though I find myself wishing Ted Danson would do a reboot and Janet would answer their questions. Although I suppose I do want to see who the bomber is.

6. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Liam was an easy one for me. He hasn't aged a day!

I like the captain. She's not a clone of Lamb but she's still a thorn in their side.

7. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    This is so true. It's a little annoying.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Only one thing bothered me in this episode.

Logan shows up at bigwig's hotel room asking for V's check. Even though it had been pre-arranged, would he really have asked Logan (who he's never met before) to go into the bedroom alone to look for a checkbook? Would you do that? It just seemed odd to me.

If they needed Logan to be out of the room so the rednecks could make their move, why not have him ask to use the bathroom and then hear the conflict from in there? Same result but much more believable IMO.

9. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    My memory of the scene may be faulty, but my impression was that he asked Logan to go into the other room to get him out of earshot of his bickering family.

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Perhaps - maybe I should re-watch the scene with that in mind.