Veronica Mars s4 e01

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Robin, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Discuss! I'll be here when I catch up.

2. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    @Robin - Great job!!! I love the individual episodic threads!!!

Now all I need to do is start watching! :)

3. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Cuss yeah! Great to have it back.

4. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    There goes my parent of the year pin. I went ahead and started without the kid. Can't be helped: I'm an early riser and everyone else sleeps in.

Hard to see Keith looking so old. Funny that Logan looks so much older than Wallace. Cliff is ageless.

I can't decide whether the bomb was in the pizza box or the makeup case.

Patton Oswald is a nice addition.

I suppose they no longer had access to The Camelot hence the switch to the Sea Sprite. Kind of jarring.

Spoiler free recap for just this episode: https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/veronica-mars-recap-season-4-episode-1.html

I agree: did not did the Mexico scenes. Hopefully there will be some decent payoff.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Sweet, Got free Hulu for a month when I bought my Roku on prime days. I didn't know how long that could sit, before I started it ( Wanted to wait for VM),
    thank you thank you... LOL I can cancel my free month tonight, will have watched them all....
    Nothing else on Hulu seems to grab me.. Am I missing anything?
    And no not into Handsmaid tale.
    THis isn't the thread for hulu, but I thought I would ask...

6. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    Marvel Runaways and Harlots are both enjoyable.

TIVO_GUY_HERE likes this.
  7. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Where's Mac? did they explain something I missed?

8. Robin

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I assume she'll show up in the next episode or two.

I enjoyed the initial case. Nice parallel to the family being harassed in season two. "Here are all the ways to do the same thing with the new technology."

And the pricing.

9. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm just trying to get to this, I've been so buy lately. I was shocked at how old Logan looked and then realized he was in an episode of SPN a couple seasons ago and I did not recognize him at all! Now I know why!

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Pizza box seems pretty unlikely, since the owner opened it up and took a bite of the pizza...

11. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Just another show that proves you need Hulu. Of course I'll watch this. :) (I would have watched it where ever it turned up of course :D)

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was actually surprised how much older Kristen Bell looked than how she appears on The Good Place. Probably a combo of lighting, color correction, and makeup.

And yeah, Keith Mars was a bit surprising too... sounded the same, but definitely looking much older.

The look and feel of the show really reflects how drastically changed TV shows are since the original run. This had a much more cinematic feel to it than those episodes.

Having just rewatched season 1 and 2, it’s going to take a little bit to get used to only the big mystery. Having the “mystery of the week” in addition to the large arc as in the original run made the pace of the show feel a little faster... this feels a little slower burning.

13. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    The move to LA from Oceanside/San Diego makes it look very different.

14. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I really dislike what they did with the opening music. Definitely would redub any season purchase. :) Nice video though.

photoshopgrl and zalusky like this.
  15. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    i was gonna pst the same thing!

16. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    They probably made him look even older as part of the "failing memory" issues.

17. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I kind of liked the Chrissie Hynde theme music. I thought that was her, and I just Googled to confirm. But I always liked The Pretenders.

David Ortiz likes this.
  18. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    I liked the theme song. The third season theme song grew on me as the season progressed. Cool video featuring the new theme song here:

19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    The only thing I didn't like about the theme was that it seemed to deviate too much from the original song.

Obviously, the season 1/2 theme was the original song, just chopped down. Season 3 was a change in style to make it more "moody," but it still stuck pretty close to the original song (and to the season 1/2 theme). Chrissie Hynde's version seemed to wander back and forth around the original song a bit too much.

20. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I finally got tired of asking when the family would have time to watch and just told them I'm starting S4 (I've been watching earlier seasons during my one free month of Hulu and am up to about mid-S2). I binged S4 E1-E3 last night... couldn't stop!

First, I feel like I should have rewatched the movie in prep for this (I was on the kickstarter so have it right here) because I found it difficult to remember the details of Keith's health situation and exactly how Veronica came back to the Neptune. I even saw the movie in the theatre opening weekend! Maybe I should try some of Keith's meds.

Second, I was immediately happy to see the freedom being streaming vs. cable gave WRT swearing etc. although I really did laugh at the trick they used to avoid egregious cursing (at least for Keith and Veronica).

It is a little jarring to go from S2 where they're still basically kids (I know they weren't really that young but they did seem that way) to S4. As mentioned above Logan is almost unrecognizable.

Loving it so far and can't wait to see the rest!