Veronica Mars 3/15/2006 (S02E14) "Versatile Toppings"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Mar 15, 2006.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

It's good to have Veronica Mars back.

I need to take notes while watching this show, though. :)

Anyone remember the "Ahoy Mateys" episode? Lucas Grabeel (who played Kelly Kuzio in this episode) is credited as "Wanna Score Boy" and I was wondering what that was.

I wonder who planted the explosive. I don't believe Terrence did it. But was curious what Veronica would find once they drove into the hangar... that much was obvious in advance, though I thought it'd be related to a car or something on/in one.

2. brimtoast

brimtoast New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    "Wanna Score Boy" is the greatest bit of continuity ever, actually. He was the guy in "Ahoy, Mateys" who tried to buy drugs off Weevil. Weevil ripped his shirt to make sure he wasn't wearing a wire, then complimented his rims (giving the implication that he was thinking of stealing them). This encounter sent Weevil looking for which PCHer was selling drugs. So now, a bunch of episodes later, this minor character comes back for some character development, his rims now "stolen". Sort of brilliant. I mean, no interesting underlying meaning or anything, just subtle and nicely done.
    I really liked this episode. I thought Logan and Hannah was handled perfectly. Creepy, but with possible layers, so it's unclear exactly how much is real. The MoTW was nice, I thought, especially the resolution. I also really enjoyed Jackie. I am starting to love her, and more and more I see the similarities between her and Lilly. Mostly Lilly's good qualities, though.
    The guest star (Kristin something)'s acting was so terrible it was actually sort of endearing. As long as we never, NEVER have to see her again.

3. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    There was a lot of lead-up hype that she's off some reality show. Laguna Beach? Something like that.

4. Ladd Morse

Ladd Morse Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Didn't Jackie have a brief throw-away line that the garage is owned by someone else and that person allows all of her Dad's cars to be stored there?

If I heard that correctly, that would open up lots of possibilities as to who might have access to the (possible) expolosive materials.

Of course, it might turn out that Jackie's Dad DID set off the bomb; this show can handle either situation.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Yes, the hangar is owned by Woody Goodman, owner of the Sharks and county supervisor ("mayor" of Neptune).

6. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I will second and third that! I am so excited to have NINE new episodes in a row until the season finale. (Rob Thomas is especially excited about eps 17 and 18 in particular, so I'm looking forward to those.)

Seriously. Thank goodness I've been rewatching some of the episodes to make DVDs for people, so I have been able to keep up with all the many tangled subplots.

This show is so great with the continuity of minor characters (Ryan, Corny, Wanna Score Boy aka Kelly) but I would bet that a lot of that is lost on the casual viewer because so much time has passed between episodes.

The less said about the acting (in)ability of the (in)famous guest star, the better. As someone else said, she was talking about outing herself and her girlfriend, and blackmailing other gay teens and she might as well have been chatting with her Laguna Beach girlfriends about getting her nails done. :rolleyes:

I didn't enjoy sitting through the Logan/Hannah scenes but it's certainly getting interesting. He is sooo evil and yet so charming. I think he's totally playing her like a fiddle (and probably even planted the coke in the medicine cabinet when he went to the bathroom), but all that mock-sincerity may start to creep over into reality at some point and he may start to like her, or at least feel bad about using her so blatantly. She still looks like she's 12 though, and that sort of icks me out.

7. lonwolf615

lonwolf615 New Member

May 19, 2004
    Wow, never would have thought he would stoop THAT low...but now that you mention it...

8. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I sort of assumed that Logan had planted the coke - didn't he "run into" Hannah's dad on his way back from the bathroom? That might help explain why he was so confident that he had the upper hand with Hannah.

The hanger being owned by County Supervisor/Team Owner Woody Goodman makes things VERY interesting. What's his motivation to blow up the bus? He did seem to have an idea that something was up, though. IIRC, he made sure that Gia wasn't riding the bus back to school. But what's his motivation? Another possibility - the stunt man/car repair guy (with connections to Aaron Echols) might have been coming out to the hanger to fix the cars, and might have had a storage area set aside for tools when he was working there.

9. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    My Tivo had a glitch last night. I am missing six minutes of the show from the middle. That's never happened to me before, so I have a couple of questions.

1) This has NOTHING to do with this episode but, what is the pencil drawing next to Duncan during the theme song? My wife and I have puzzled over it since the beginning of the year, so embarrassed as I am for not figuring it out, I ask, WHAT IS IT?

2) Why was the pizza-guy mugger using the addresses of "coconuts" as delivery points to mug the delivery guys?

3) Lamb seems to think that he has less to lose than Jackie's dad (Terrence?). Doesn't he know that HE could go to jail for extortion? He can't be THAT stupid, can he?

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, some bad acting. I was reminded of shannon elizabeth with that acting. Smiling and gleefully delivering each line is not going to win any oscars/emmies.

11. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    I can help you with two of the three:
    First, remember that the pizza-guy mugger was a McGuffin. He didn't really have anything to do with the outings at all, and didn't have the message board member info. He was just a latino kid trying to impress the PCHers and get into the gang. So he was using people as targets that the PCHers would appreciate being potential investigation targets.
    1. Yes, he can be that dumb.
    2. While that recording is a potentially explosive revelation (no pun intended), it is less clear that it would be useful to prosecute Lamb. First, Lamb has no idea how the recording was made. WE, however, know that it was made by Veronica wiretapping Lamb's office. That recording is almost certainly illegal - neither party to the conversation consented to it being recorded, so even in a one-party consent state, the recording is illegal. Since the recording is illegal, it probably can't be used as evidence against Lamb in court, even though it was made by a private citizen and not by the government. Finally, Keith will never actually turn the recording over to authorities, because if they DO discover the provenance of the recording, Veronica could be facing jail time for the illegal recording.

12. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Er... it wasn't a wiretap was it? It was just a recording device planted somewhere.

13. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Right, I get that, BUT, didn't Veronica find him using the list of names she got from Carmen--people who were "coconuts"? Why was he using the names of Latinos who were Dating whites?

Good points all. I guess I didn't think this through completely. So, is Lamb going to indict Terrence, or is this a game of chicken that he will lose?

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes. It was a bug. Literally... it was a bug inside an insect encased in plastic.

15. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I suppose, but still illegal as the intent is the same.

16. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, considering that Logan is worried about getting sent to prison and bunking with Fisty McRapesalot, he feels that he is running out of options. I can't blame him for doing whatever he can to avoid being convicted of a crime he didn't commit.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that Logan planted the coke, because that does seem a little drastic, but it did seem a little too easy for Hannah to "find" the coke oh-so-conveniently stashed in the medicine cabinet after Logan had just been in that bathroom the day before (or so). Plus, how does Logan even know that Nip/Schmuck is using coke? We know he's mixed up with the Fitzpatricks but do we know he uses coke specifically?

It all seemed very fishy to me -- Logan tells Hannah her dad is involved in drugs and boom, she finds drugs in the medicine cabinet. Surely if her dad were involved in drugs, he'd do a better job of hiding them from his daughter? I think Logan wanted Hannah to believe him and trust him and had to figure out how to turn her against her father in order to do that, and I wouldn't put it past him to plant drugs if he felt that would help him get info on the dad. And Logan's confrontation with the dad certainly implied that he'd be willing to do whatever it takes to get the dad to retract his story.

The stuff about the recording of Lamb and Cook must have really thrown Cook for a loop as well as Lamb. After the last episode when Keith revealed that he knew about Cook's gambling problem and knew about Cook and Ms. Dumass, Cook must think that Keith's been having him followed night and day for months. I'd think at some point Cook would demand that Keith explain how he knows all this very personal and secret info about his life before Cook ever walked into Keith's office to ask for help. It must seem sort of stalkerish.

And another thing: Cook can't seem to pay his gambling debts and is worried about getting beaten up by thugs working for Lobo and/or the Fitzpatricks, but he has an airplane hangar full of expensive cars? WTF? Isn't your life more important than owning a bunch of sports cars? I'd think he would be worried about the safety of his daughter as well.

17. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Really, I want to know, what is the pencil drawing next to Duncan during the theme song? Doesn't ANYONE know?

18. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Peter Ferrer (I think) was frequent poster of the Pirate S.H.I.P. and went on, according to VM, about the "outing of all outings in Neptune" and then disappeared...victim of the bus crash. Hmmmmmm...outings of all outings...possible motive behind the bus crash? Could this "outing" be so monumental that it would turn Neptune upside down...I have no idea.

19. Magnolia88

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Do you have a link to a screencap? I am pretty sure I am able to tell what all the drawings are, but I don't exactly have them all memorized as to what picture goes with which character. Can you describe it?

I thought that Duncan was shown with a surveillance or security camera, but maybe that was last year.

And something tells me that the credits will be changing soon anyway.

I'm not at liberty to discuss certain upcoming plot develoments and I don't want to spoil anyone, but . . .

I think that you're on to something with that "outing of all outings" comment from Peter. The victims of the bus crash will all become important. And there is still another bus victim yet to be identified before we know all their names.

20. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Looks like a security camera to me.