Verizon sells three-state territory, including 1.6 million FiOS users

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1 of 40
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...e-territory-including-1-6-million-fios-users/

Being a Texas Verizon FIOS customer this bothers me quite a bit. We lover our FIOS and I have never heard anything good about Frontier. Texas is a big state, hopefully, my area isn't included in this sale!

2. Feb 6, 2015 #2 of 40
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    ALL wireline customers in the three states are included in the sale. Verizon has said they plan to concentrate on expanding FiOS's market share in the contiguous northeastern states they serve.

Nobody in these markets is happy. Frontier has been struggling under the debt burden since they bought Verizon's wireline business in WA and OR. Now they have another $10 billion outlay ahead of them. The sale isn't expected to close for another year, so you have time to research the options.

3. Feb 6, 2015 #3 of 40
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Not to mention that Frontier copy-protects everything except the local channels. Think TWC.

They're the evil FIOS version of Verizon in that regard. :(

4. Feb 6, 2015 #4 of 40
    Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    And to some of the points in the article quoted...

They can't reasonably sell the copper wireline without the fiber as well since they use the same central offices. Unless they want to get into demarcation of the COs it all goes as one chunk.

Honestly, if they could find another chump, I mean buyer, I think they would sell off the northeast customers as well. The current Verizon management team are all from the wireless side of the business and they make WAY more money on wireless than they do on the wired side.

The tower deal is a tax ploy...they sell the towers and then lease them back, converting an asset into a (tax deductible) expense.

5. Feb 6, 2015 #5 of 40
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Welcome to my world. Verizon did the same thing to northern New England, selling off their landline and FiOS business to tiny Fairpoint Communications, back in 2008 or thereabouts. It took them forever to straighten out their billing, and they stopped enhancing the service.

6. Feb 6, 2015 #6 of 40
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I must say I am concerned about this. Unfortunately my only other option is Bright House which means tuning adapters.

7. Feb 6, 2015 #7 of 40
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    This makes me nervous,I still haven't upgraded to tivo roamio.I hope they dont screw anything up with the fios video side as it been awesome! now i will wait before upgrading my tivo,if frontier screws around with fios and makes it worse or too expensive i will go back to directv ,andd if verizon really pisses me off i''ll switch to AT&T.:eek:

8. Feb 6, 2015 #8 of 40
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, at least you have FiOS TV. That never made it here. I did get FiOS Internet (and still have it through Fairpoint.)

9. Feb 6, 2015 #9 of 40
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    This is absolutely gut wrenching for me. I was about to move from a Cox home to one with FiOS and this crap happens. I was looking forward to no CCI Byte and no SDV.

10. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    This is terrible, terrible news. Extremely disturbing. I am a Verizon FIOS customer living in Texas.

The Verizon pricing is high and their customer service really sucks at times. However, in spite of that, the product itself is truly sensational.

FIOS Tv has never copy restricted a single thing that I have recorded on my Tivo. Not once. This has been quite a luxury for me. It has been so nice knowing that I did not ever have to worry about this.

What will Frontier do in this regard when they take over these FIOS accounts? Will they start flagging content as "copy once"? Does anybody here know?

TC

11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I haven't heard anything yet,I certainly hope not.Like most of us here i'll just have to wait and see what happens. I hope it stays the same or gets better,if not i have no problem moving back to directv,although i would really miss no having tivo.:(

12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ugh. FIOS customer in Florida. I've not heard good things about Frontier in the NW. I've been enjoying FIOS since I early adopted it and moved away from Brighthouse.

I hear people in other parts of the country talking about bandwidth caps imposed by various providers. Is there any possibility that Frontier would (or does) impose them?

13. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    According to users in the NW, Frontier copy protects everything except locals.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes. FiOS people got screwed back when Verizon sold those areas to Frontier in 2009. UNfortunately, the FiOS customers in this current round of sales will probably get screwed too.

15. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Frontier does not impose any data caps, and to my knowledge has never sent out a single letter to people that choose to torrent. It seems like they turn a blind eye to it.

Other than the copy-protection stuff, we're extremely happy with Frontier. I have nothing to complain about.

16. moedaman

moedaman Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I can't believe that Frontier would buy more areas from Verizon, considering how much debt and how many problems Verizon left them. Maybe I'm missing the bigger picture, but it's seems mind-boggling stupid for them to trust that the legacy copper that Verizon left behind is in good shape. Especially since they got screwed before.

17. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    In an article published back in January, it was stated that in order for Verizon to merge (sic, "SELL OFF) it's wireless service with the UK's Vodaphone, they'd have to sell off the non-wireless pieces of the business. Apparently, this is EXACTLY what they are doing!

18. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL

That's a relief. Thank you for the info. I could personally live more easily with the copy protection stuff than I could with data caps.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What about the lower internet speeds? FiOS uses symmetrical speeds while I've read that Frontier doesn't come anywhere close to having symmetrical speeds.

20. Diana Collins

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    In their current footprint Frontier offers new customers three options: 30/5, 50/10 and 100/15. However, they did grandfather in any sub with a different tier, but if you want to change anything, you have to pick from the options offered new customers. So, lock in those symmetric tiers now!