Verizon MRV, VOD & Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by solsurfer, Feb 15, 2009.

1. solsurfer

solsurfer Member

Mar 17, 2003
    LA, CA

Advertisements

I've been tempted to switch to a Verizon/Tivo setup ever since Directv made my DirectTivos obsolete with the mpeg4 conversion. Verizon offered to give me a free 30 day trial so I decided to give it a test drive. There's no way I could live with the Motorola box's 20/hr capacity, but I really like the Verizon VOD (for the kids). And I'm reluctant to buy 2 tivos (living room, bedroom). So my question is: if I did go with a 2 tivo set up, is there anyway to still access the verizon VOD services?

Or if I went the route with a Tivo in the living room and a motorola in the bedroom, would it be possible to have MRV between the two?

Thanks!

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    I have FiOS, and I doubt there's a way to do what you want to do easily. I have the HD DVR and a TiVo S3 on the main TV, and STBs on the other two TVs. I use the HD DVR as backup, or to record as a third/fourth tuner when the TiVo's already recording two shows.

If you need VOD and MRV on both TVs, you need a TiVo and an STB on both. Or just do a setup like mine and get VOD and MRV on the Verizon boxes, and TiVo for most of the recording on the main TV.

3. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    to bad Verizon didnt join Tru2way, because then its just an app they add to tivo. Eventually cable will have this ability with series 4..

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes. But as noted above, you will still need a Verizon STB if you want to access their VOD.

If you decide to get a TiVo, make sure you do it in the first 30 days, because after that time, Verizon charges $79 for a "truck roll," which they require to install CableCards. If you add your TiVo in the first 30 days, then there is no charge for a CableCard installation.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

AFAIK you can't MRV between a Tivo and a Motorola unit. I suspect either bkdtv or myself is misinterpreting the OP.