Verizon FiOS no longer issuing CableCARDs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by artinnj, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1 of 13
    artinnj

artinnj New Member

Aug 7, 2014

Advertisements

Called today to get an MCard so I could get HBO on my HD box an they said they are no longer issuing CableCARDs. Since I turned in my single steam cards already, I did not qualify as grandfathered. Guess it does not make sense to upgrade to a Roamio Pro. Bummer.

2. Aug 7, 2014 #2 of 13
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Something not Kosher here :confused:

3. Aug 7, 2014 #3 of 13
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just checked the Verizon website and they still have cablecards listed as equipment upgrades. Sounds like you just got another clueless CSR. Log into your Verizon account and try and order one that way. It's the way I've always ordered them in the past.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #4 of 13
    Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    you got hoodwinked.

5. Aug 7, 2014 #5 of 13
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

+1

6. artinnj

artinnj New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Previously tried ordering it directly on the website (always prefer to not speak with a CSR when I can) but the little popup that comes up when you want to increase your CableCARD count won't let you get past that screen. That is why I resorted to calling them.

I hear Cablevision/Optimum (local cable in my area) are still issuing them, but also hear their internet setups don't support the MoCA routing that I use for my TiVo Minis. Another drawback of the Minis not supporting WiFi.

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If you can't get the FiOS customer service people to issue you a CableCard, file a complaint with the FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

8. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Also they will charge $20 shipping unless you go to a Verizon superstore to pick one up.

I would definitely file a FCC complaint regardless of what happens.

9. TazExprez

TazExprez Member

May 31, 2014
    Do you have to call in ahead of time, or are these cards readily available at a Verizon store?

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    They have them in stock usually. You still need to call to have an open order though. They can usually see if the local store has any. If you don't call ahead, they will make you call in store. You just need to give them the order number in store.

Mind you this is a Verizon superstore and not a wireless store.

11. Lensman

Lensman Member

Dec 22, 2001
    Hoboken, NJ...
    On Friday, I just walked in to the Verizon superstore in Jersey City, New Jersey and picked up a multistream cablecard with no problem. I did turn in my two old single stream cards at the same time. Everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable. They had them in stock and I did not have to place an order on the phone or online first. When I called the store they said it would be faster if I ordered beforehand and just picked up the cards in the store but I couldn't figure out how to subtract two and add one online so I just walked in.

12. sbhnet

sbhnet New Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Not true. I just got a cablecard. There was an issue where they lost the order, but when I called and complained (after emailing the exeuctive offices) they sent a tech in a truck with a card. Voila! Up and running on my new Roamio Plus!

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    So far the OP is the only person to have had that statement made and they've never followed up after we let them know the CSR was incorrect about Verizon no longer supplying CableCARDs