Verizon Fios Local TV Channel Guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ivode, Sep 8, 2017.

1. ivode

ivode New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Like any good cord cutter, I have been using my Series 3 with an antenna for years. But we moved and no longer get good reception. So I ordered the local tv package from Verizon. It is literally just a rebroadcast of OTA channels only but I can use the Series 3 QAM tuner so no Verizon hardware is needed. Sounds great right!?!

Here's the problem I cannot resolve despite many hours on the web. Hopefully someone here can provide guidance. I can't get channel guide information. Here's the problem...

During setup, I have the choice of cable channel providers. This selection feeds determines your channel lineup and ultimately what channel guide info TiVo downloads and displays. If I select the Verizon option , the TiVo assumes I have basic cable so the channel lineup is wrong. I have also tried having TiVo find the correct lineup by showing stations but because it is looking at basic cable lineups across several providers.

My guess is that QAM delivers stations on the same channels as they would come through from an antenna. But if I have the TiVo set channel lineups based on antenna, then it pulls signals from the wrong coax input and I get no TV stations.

So I'm in a pickle. Any suggestions on how to get correct channel guide info for the Verizon Loacl TV package would be greatly appreciated.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You do not have the cable card, which does the channel mapping.

The source is also important. Since you are getting TV through cable, it needs to be hooked up to the cable coax. Antenna coax is for actual antenna, not antenna channels from cable.

3. ivode

ivode New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Thanks. I have the coax correct on cable and get stations. Is a cablecard the only way to get channel mapping for QAM? Seems crazy since I can get the info on Ant.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately, that's not correct which is why you need the CableCARD.

I checked the local TV package and Custom TV package for my son's zip code (Annandale, VA) and the channel lineup is the same for those lower channels so your TiVo lineup should be correct once you have a CableCARD and the channels are mapped correctly to those channels. You would just uncheck all the other channels that you don't get in the TiVo channel configuration.

Scott