Verizon Fios deploying M cards yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by WTFover, Jul 25, 2007.

1. WTFover

WTFover New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Hey all, I am highly anticipating the arrival of my THD (as I am sure most of the rest of every one here is). With that i will need to go through the cable card routine with the foks at Verizon. Has anyone had an m-card siting with Verizon yet? I am anticipating the implied_but_unseen blank stare on the CSR's face and the inevitable response when I call and set up the appointment. Only having to pay for 1 cable card will make the Tivo HD a wash as far as monthly expense is concerned (minus the purchase price of the THD, of course).

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes, Verizon is deploying MCARDs. However, they are not available in all areas yet.

Verizon ships MCARDs to area offices when their supply of older 'S' CableCards runs low. Motorola only manufacturers and ships MCARDs now, but Verizon isn't throwing away their inventory of [the older] 'S' CableCards.

You are never going to get a definitive answer on MCARD availability by calling Verizon's 1-800 #. You need to get the number for the Verizon FiOS office, call, and ask the manager whether they have MCARDs. Even then, there's no guarantee they will know. List of numbers below:

http://www22.verizon.com/content/fi...f+locations/set+top+box+dropoff+locations.htm

Some Verizon FiOS offices aren't listed.

3. WTFover

WTFover New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I am in the Tampa, Florida market and they are constantly rolling out deployments to new areas so I am hoping card turnover is high. When the THD arrives I will call them up.

4. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Does Verizon have to do anything on their side for a single M-Card to work?

5. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Also in Tampa, my 'hood just got service, I'm scheduled to have 4 CableCARDs installed on Saturday. If they give me a M-Card I'll let you know. Unfortunately for me, my Series3 doesn't support the multi-stream features, but I may get a TiVo HD to review and if so I'll let you know.

6. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I'm in Tampa, too. I already have 2 cards installed in my Series 3 as of a couple weeks ago, but I didn't notice if they were single or multistream at the time. I didn't even think to check.

I just ordered a new TiVo HD for the bedroom which should be here tomorrow, and I scheduled Verizon to come out next Monday to install 2 more cards. I'll also check and see what they give me this time. I didn't ask on the phone, cause I figured I'd probably confuse the person. I managed to avoid the subject of TiVo altogether, which is generally best with them.

7. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD
    Does the original S3 support an MCARD yet?

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It works with MCARDs, but it treats them as standard CableCards -- it doesn't support the multistream functionality -- so you need two of them.

9. WTFover

WTFover New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Update. Well I talked to the CSR who actually knew what the difference is between the two types of cards. unfortunately she said they are all S-cards for now :(
    We shall see when the tech gets here on Monday AM.

10. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, dang. I guess that means my 2 new cards will not be m-cards either, since I think all of Verizon Tampa is probably serviced out of the same place (Temple Terrace or Brandon, I think they said). I'll find out Monday too.

11. Rollinboy10

Rollinboy10 New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Guys, I'm also in the Tampa area, well overseas right now as I'm sure you can guess why. I'll be heading back in about 61 days 2 hours and 7 minutes . . . or so. I'm in the process of switching from DTV to FIOS and plan on ordering two of the TivoHD's here pretty soon so they'll be there when I get back. What exactly is the advantage of having a M-Card vs. S-Card. I think I read the M-Card is 2x the price and if the 2 S-Cards gives 2 decoded channels like the M-Card whats the difference? Do you need 2 coax lines with the M-Card still?

12. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    The only difference is that one card and do two streams - I don't know about the cards costing twice as much, that'd be a pretty cheap move on the part of Verizon (and therefore probably likely).

Whether you only have 1 M-card or 2 S-cards, you only need one coax feed to the box, it's split internally.

Keep your head down and come home safe.

13. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't think there is any advantage with the M-card over the S-card except for price. If you have one M-card you can save the extra $2.99 you'd have to pay for the 2nd card.

You won't need 2 coax feeds, just one, because the TiVo will split the feed internally to both cards.

14. Rollinboy10

Rollinboy10 New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Ok then so as a bonus what do you think the posibilites are that I could do 2 M-Cards (assuming I can get my paws on them) and use 2 coax inputs? When I built my house last year I had the HR10-250's in mind so I wired every tv outlet in the house with 2 coax, 1 rg11, and 1 rg45 Cat5e. Could I theotetically get 4 channels at the same time?

15. WTFover

WTFover New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    You will only use 1 coax regardless of the number of cablecards you have, m-card or S-card. The cable configuration is slightly different on the THD and S3 vs the HR10's.

16. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Just had FIOS CableCARDs installed near downtown in Tampa, and the installers brought brand new cards, but none were M-Cards. I asked if they'd ever heard of them and they said no, but they admitted to only installing on CableCARD before now. 3 out of the 4 cards are working, one persists it is NOT_SUBSCRIBED, under the Conditional access menu. I plan to call Verizon in a few days if it doesn't clear itself up.

I should be getting a TiVo HD in for review before too long, and I'll do everything I can to ensure I get an M-Card, but we'll see how far I get.

17. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Can the TiVo HD actually handle recording 4 HD channels plus playing a 5th? If it can't I don't see the point of M-cards.

18. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    No, but the TiVo HD can handle recording two HD channels while playing a 3rd. I have 4 CableCARDs because I have two Series3 TiVos.

19. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The hope is that it is cheaper that renting two S-Cards.

20. jhimmel

jhimmel Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Look 4 posts up from yours.