Verizon FIOS DC Metro Area - Cable Cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Gerhard, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Gerhard

Gerhard Member

Sep 29, 2002

Advertisements

Does Verizon FIOS require you to have a tech come and install the cable cards in the DC area (Maryland)?

The rep said something about them now have retail outlets, but I'm wondering what services they offer...

GB

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes, it's the same everywhere. From the stickied FAQ:

3. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    rehashing this thread because i'm wondering if this still applies. I just called to get info on adding a 2nd tv/outlet to my service. I will of course be adding a Tivo to that TV. The CSR told me that they can ship me a cable card and I can install it myself.

Did they change their policy? has anyone done this recently? I know when i first got my service installed, the tech spent quite some time logged in to some Verizon page getting my cards authorized.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It no longer applies, no -- not for Fios or anyone else. Self-installation is the law. (I mean, as an option the customer can choose -- you probably still can get the cable company to do it if you want.) They will mail you the cards, and you can enter the needed information via a web page (or a phone call, I assume, but that would be tedious and error-prone by comparison). You can probably get it done more reliably and in less time than the stupid old system.

5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...

Advertisements

FIOS now supports self-installation. Simply log into your Verizon account on-line and select the option to upgrade your service. Specify cablecard as your upgrade and it will be shipped to your door, usually within 24-48 hours (you'll get charged about $10 for shipping on your next bill).

Insert the cablecard in your Tivo or other cablecard device and gather the required info. Go to the setup page as directed in the included instructions. Once you've entered all the data and double and triple-checked it for accuracy, click to activate and wait until the channels start coming in on your Tivo (usually within 15 minutes or less).

6. wrp

wrp New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    But does Fios have M-cards, or do they still only have single cable-cards?

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    They have M cards in Northern Virginia.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The FCC regulations mandating support for self install also require them to provide M-cards.

9. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No one has anything but M cards now. S cards haven't been made for years. And don't ask CSRs about M cards -- you'll only confuse them. Just ask for CableCards.

10. Gerhard

Gerhard Member

Sep 29, 2002
    I still have a Series 3, of course, I don't have an M-Card in it, I have two single cards.

The S3 doesn't support M cards, does it?

(I was pretty sure they never added the support for it.)

GB

11. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    The Series 3 will use an M card, but for two tuner functionality you need two M cards.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Want to bet? I have four of them. Of course, they aren't new. :D

Asking most CSRs for the time of day will confuse them. :mad:

13. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    By "No one" I of course meant cable companies, not end users. I also have four old S cards.

Gerhard, the original Series 3 will use M cards in S mode.

14. cstacy

cstacy New Member

May 14, 2009
    I'm in Fairfax County. The Verizon sales rep made it very clear to me that they require each device to have a set-top box, and that cablecard alone is not an option. She understood I was talking about TiVo. "If you have one TV, you must have a set-top box. You may not order a cablecard unless it is for a second TV. If you have only one TV, you may not use cablecard."

I only have one TV, which is connected to my TiVo. Verizon is saying they do not offer service for this -- can't get a cablecard. Must rent set-top box, and then may also rent cablecard for second TV only.

Is this right? If so, totally sucks! That would be $29/mo for ...nothing?

15. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There's no need to speak with a CSR to order a cablecard. Go to the Verizon home page and log into your account. There's a tab that says "Upgrade Your Service." You'll probably have to wade through several screens to find the page to order the cablecard. Just place the order and it will get shipped right to your door.

The box the cablecard comes in will contain instructions on how to set it up via a web link. You'll get charged $10 for shipping, but it will probably be delivered within 1-2 days after you place the order. It's way faster and more convenient than having a tech come out to install it.

16. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No. Talk to someone there who's not a moron (or use the web page if possible).

I don't know where you get that figure. You can rent a box for like $5 a month. Also, you wrote "they require each device to have a set-top box", but then quoted the CSR as saying a box was required only for the first TV. In any case, both are wrong, there is no such requirement.

To be fair, I do have (and have always had) one Verizon-supplied STB, so I haven't actually tested an all-TiVo system. :) I'm pretty sure others here have, though. You should even be able to get lifeline service from Fios without renting boxes OR CableCards.

17. cstacy

cstacy New Member

May 14, 2009
    Well, I was on the web page, having trouble understanding the options. That's why I talked to the CSR. She insisted that there has to be one "device" (which can be either their multi-room DVR, or a cable set-top box) for each TV. Normally they want you to get one of each, for a total of two TVs. The option is to replace one (but not both of those boxes) for a cablecard. However, having just a cablecard in a TiVo (and neither their DVR nor set-top box) is not allowed. Once you are renting one of their boxes, you can add a cablecard, but not until.

I don't know where you get $5 cable boxes; it was $29 on the web page I was looking at (and which the CSR was also looking at).

You yourself have the set-top box in addition to your Tivo's cablecard. What makes you think that you can eliminate your set-top box from the package that you have?

Of course, I would love it if you are correct. But it doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about.

18. cstacy

cstacy New Member

May 14, 2009
    I don't have an account, I'm a new customer. I don't want to "upgrade", which sounds like "add a cablecard, since you are already renting at least one STB or DVR from us". I just want a cablecard for my Tivo, and not any other device rental from them.

I'm currently on COX and was able to save a lot of money by eliminating my only STB (in a room I never watched). COX does not require you to have one of their devices in order to rent a cablecard. However, COX is extremely awful due to their under-provisioned SDV Tuner and I need to get rid of them for a service that will actually receive the channels I pay for. So, hopefully Verizon.

I take it you already have a STB or DVR from Verizon, and you "upgraded" by adding a cablecard also. Maybe you didn't notice that you can't get rid of the other device(s); the situation didn't come up for you. Or is is the case that you have ONLY a cablecard?

Or maybe they changed their offerings since you ordered service?

Requiring both seems sleazy to me, but the salesperson was quite adamant. I went round and round with her. What I am hoping is someone who has recently ordered service from them with ONLY a cablecard. Or something like that.

19. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It is far more likely that the CSR/salesperson either doesn't know what she is talking about or is deliberately lying. If I lived in a Verizon FIOS served area or knew of an address that was, I would see what I could find out on the web page, but I don't.

I do have a question for you - If you were not going to believe any answer that didn't agree with what you were told by the Verizon rep, why did you bother to ask the question?

20. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I take that to mean you are not yet subscribed to Verizon. You may have to bite the bullet and get a set top box for your initial account and add a cablecard for the Tivo. Once you've got everything installed I'd simply take the set top box back to your nearest Verizon FIOS store and return it.