Verizon accelerating streaming instead of FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dadrepus, Apr 16, 2016.

1. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012

Advertisements

So, I read that Verizon is moving to Internet TV and eliminating regular cable tv on an accelerated time schedule cause it reduces bandwidth strain. What will this do to the TIVO's ability to record? Right now we basically record everything and watch relatively few shows live, primarily to skip the commercials. We can't do that with any streaming App on the Tivo right now. If that feature is lost, half of Tivo's use goes out the window for me. I was planning to go over the air some day, this may accelerate my move.

2. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    never mind, saw it already posted...sorry.

3. Sparky19053

Sparky19053 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Lower Bucks PA
    It concerns me that we may loose the cable card a lot sooner than later. Also as mentioned above we may loose our beloved SKIP MODE. Not to mention with internet TV instead of the channels waiting to be displayed we may see a wait while your desktop connects to the provider.
    Perhaps I don't know enough to understand how this may effect us but I'm not looking forward to this change.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Verizon couldn't get FiOS TV to be sucessful, and now the same ding-bats are starting from scratch this new planned service. Uh, they own AOL; does that not say STUPID? Verizon should just buy Dish and SlingTV that comes with it (it would also come with whatever wireless bandwidth Dish owns that Verizon would be allowed to keep), improve SlingTV and intergrate it with its own content holdings and be done with it. Verizon would inherit less expensive agreements with media companies who provide the content and SlingTV is up and running. All it needs is some serious improvements that Verizon can afford to make.

As AT&T said, "We didn't buy DirecTV because we think satellite is a great distribution method," so should Verizon quit wasting time and money and just get to where it needs to be in the stroke of a pen and truly competitive with AT&T's TV offerings and bundles. No doubt Verizon would've bought Dish by now except that Charlie Ergen probably wants more money than Verizon wants to pay (Dish has SlingTV and wireless spectrum that it sees as an enhancement to its value beyond the satellite TV service, neither of which DirecTV had), but that is to Verizon's peril. This new Verizon project is not going anywhere any time SOON, and time is a luxury Verizon does not have.

Oh, and the clincher: IP technology is what AT&T used for its failed Uverse. I'm sure Verizon, with it stellar track record in the pay-TV biz, it will all succeed.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Diana Collins likes this.
  5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004

Advertisements

The problem with Fios is that if you were not in an area where Verizon (previously GTE) was not your phone company you couldn't get it. There are big chunks of the country
    where ATT is dominant and Verizon is only a cell phone company. Verizon wants to grow and Fios was starting to look like an expensive dead end, it's one reason that they having been selling off their Fios systems to Frontier in a number states.

6. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas

Gee,

NO GTE! :D

https://youtu.be/ib_XIV9adcc

pj1983 likes this.
  7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    :eek::D Classic. And the commercial isn't even thirty years old yet. I guess we've really come a long way since then.

8. Mar 1, 2017 #8 of 31
    apsarkis

apsarkis Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Tillson, NY
    The New Fios TV From Verizon

"At Mobile World Congress, the newly formed Exponent business unit within Verizon demonstrated the technology that will be the foundation for Fios TV going forward -- an all-IP delivery system designed to support multi-screen video services, and ultimately the integration of IoT applications."

This Is the New Fios TV From Verizon | Light Reading

aaronwt likes this.
  9. Mar 2, 2017 #9 of 31
    Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Precisely...AT&T is moving to OTT delivery (which is how SlingTV and the other live streaming services work) because they couldn't make IPTV work reliably. Verizon is doubling down on IPTV just as most everyone else is moving away from it. Of course, they tried an OTT service and it failed miserably, but because of the content, not the technology.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    IPTV delivery it is where most QAM pay TV providers are heading. The main problems with AT&T's IPTV service is a lack of last mile bandwidth not IPTV delivery tech. Verizon has no last mile bandwidth issues.

What should concern people here is how long is Verizon going to continue offering pay TV delivery via QAM. My guess is not long after this is rolled out.

It also plays into Verizon's vision for 5G, where they believe there will have enough bandwidth to delivery a standard "cable" pay TV service via IPTV delivery and thus allow them to be a nation wide pay TV provider.

If Verizon can make all this work or not is of course to be seen. But this is where all the big players are heading.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  11. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    So can someone succinctly explain what this means to tivo and us going forward?

12. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It means anyone using a TiVo with a cable card with Verizon FIOS service may have their TiVo rendered useless if Verizon decides to quickly do away with current QAM based delivery method for video. Most likely though they won't phase out QAM delivery very quickly in favor of IP, so probably nothing to worry about for a few years.

13. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    So, I guess I got my money's worth with my 3 Premieres with lifetimes. Not sure I'd keep them around for internet tv as they are so slow with that sort of stuff. My Rokus are so much better. I can see Tivo going strictly to an app to supply live TV, that's what I would do if I owned the company.

14. Eldragun

Eldragun Member

Feb 3, 2016
    So theres no way to keep Fios with my Bolt after they switch to IPTV?

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There is no way to know that at this time. Because of the changes in those running the FCC there will be no mandate that Verizon support third part devices if/when they move to IPTV delivery. That doesn't mean TiVo and Verizon will not work something out - but I think it is unlikely.

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Just remember what is being talked about here isn't OTT streaming service like Netflix or even Sling TV. What is being talked about is traditional "cable" TV being delivered by IPTV tech like AT&T Uverse is. So no idea what existing hardware (if any) TiVo or otherwise is going to work with this.

17. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Also, it's going to take them a really long time to phase out all of the older cable boxes still in service. That typically takes years to swap them all out. As long as they're still providing service over QAM on those legacy boxes they need to support cable card.

Bigg likes this.
  18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When a large percentage of the FiOS STBs are not MPEG4 capable, QAM delivery will need to stay put. Unless FiOS is willing to spend tens of millions of dollars replacing all these old boxes.

For me, of they do end QAM delivery and don't have a solution for me to use my TiVos, then I will most likely drop FiOS TV service. But I really don't think I'll need to worry about anything for awhile. And there is no way I'm going to start renting a bunch of STBs from a cable provider. I will dump TV completely before I consider paying dozens of dollars a month in STB rental fees.

jcondon likes this.
  19. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I'll at least have the Over the air option with my boxes. Mostly what my wife watches is local, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW.

20. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Until ATSC 3.0 ...