Veep, s5e10 "Inauguration"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DavidTigerFan, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC

Advertisements

Wit, did I catch that right? Martin mull's character at the end said they found the ballots and Selena won Nevada, which means she's still the president?!?

2. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    He did, but his character is nuts and he did call new president Montez "Selina", so we don't know for sure if that info is correct.

But, it's probably how they will turn it around next season, if they are renewed.

I had a feeling that something would happen to Marine One, but I was afraid it was going to crash.

It was funny that prez Montez was also getting the credit for freeing Tibet.

3. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I thought they were going to go with Montez was actually born in Mexico. I do wish they had made Montez a little wittier.

I don't think they really found any ballots, that guy lost his mind. And besides, even if they did, I think it's too late.

Tom complimenting Selina's shoes. Ha.

And funny that Sue is still in the White House.

I thought maybe they would have Selina be Montez's Veep.

And now we know Catherine's documentary didn't really see the light of day.

Not a lot of laughs in this one, but a solid end.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it would be revealed that Montez wasn't really an American citizen.

Once someone said that Montez would keep one person from Selina's staff, I knew it would be Sue.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

Was this intended to be a series finale?
    Cos' it sure felt like it.
    I don't know where they could go from here...

6. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Veep was renewed but it will have a new showrunner. http://deadline.com/2016/04/game-of-thrones-renewed-season-6-veep-silicon-valley-hbo-1201741600/

I thought next season will be pretty clear. Montez will prove to have been born in Mexico and impeached/removed as President. There is no VP at the moment, which leads into very murky constitutional waters but for show purposes I would guess Tom James takes over and Selena is back to being a VP.

7. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The house still gets to vote for president. Despite what they wrote, Montez is only acting president. The house still has the right and duty to select a president. If they don't before she is tossed out, then the speaker (didn't look that up to confirm) becomes acting president.

There is almost no way for James to be president at this point since the house must vote for one of the top three presidential candidates and he is not the speaker.

But since they screwed up the Montez thing, who knows.

8. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Selina mumbling "I sure hope I didn't f*** Richard." cracked me up.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
  10. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Yep, but the "hard drive" from the camera is missing so I'm sure it will come back into play next season.

11. DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I got the impression that Gary stole the hard drive

12. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    This is what I thought, and I was actually disappointed they didn't go that route before the season ended. It really did feel like a series finale, as someone said.

There was a small scroll shown during the inauguration (I believe) that the House would not vote again for president. But if they go the route that Montez is not eligible for the presidency, would Selena and O'Brien revert to being the candidates (for that matter, could the House reconsider Selena or O'Brien at any point during the four year term)?

I'm going to miss Peter McNicol's character (I assume he won't be back since he was limited to a New Hampshire election expert). Some of his exchanges where he was pointing out what an idiot Jonah was were the funniest things I've ever seen, and became even funnier when you remembered he was Jonah's dad.

13. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Could very well be and Selina certainly didn't seem concerned that it was missing so probably so.

14. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The heavyset guy (can't remember his name) recorded Gary's tantrum on his phone. I was surprised that didn't come back up before the episode ended.

15. DavidTigerFan

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    Mike. The guy with the "3 year old" chinese baby. lol

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I think he's his uncle.

Nonetheless, some of the funniest, sharpest lines in a season full of them.

17. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    You're right, I had that wrong.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Your link is borked...

So it looks like the title of the show is going to be increasingly inappropriate. Which, for a show as inappropriate as this, is entirely appropriate! :D

One thing I didn't realize is that the original writing staff was entirely British, apparently until this season!

19. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    "Would Catherine and Marjorie want to get married?"
    "I couldn't stand that much acoustic guitar!"
    "President Meyer is speaking to an attractive stranger.."
    "That is the first daughter"
    "Oh, too bad"