Veep 06/08/14 S03E09 "Crate" & S03E10 "New Hampshire"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Zevida, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    This show is just a non-stop riot. I need to go back and rewatch to get all my favorite quotes. I loved early on when Dan said that nothing says real American like standing on street corners and screaming at strangers. And the constant remarks about how her hair makes Selena look like a boy.

Poor Amy getting booted from Chief of Staff and stuck running the campaign in New Hampshire! Campaign manager is good, but President's chief of staff is better.

Jonah saying it was time to get a job on his own merits and then having his mom call his uncle was great.

2. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Where do they go next season? Will the entire season be the campaign? If Selena is elected then the "Veep" title sounds odd. She would almost have to be elected to keep the series going. I suppose they could create a twist where she agrees to drop out of the race in return for Chung picking her as VP. So, she would go from Prez back to VP.

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought these two episodes were the least funny of the season. They were funny in spots but weren't the nonstop laugh riot as usual. Or maybe it's just that Gary's nose bleeds creeped me out. Also, Selina being reeaaallly pissed when she thought her campaign was doomed kind of made the funny go away for a while.

I was too lazy to rewind but I *knew* Selina messed up the oath and it would be an issue. It just seems to be a much more minor issue than I thought.

At least now we know who POTUS is.

4. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The nose bleed scene was definitely creepy! But I thought her losing it at her staff and calling them all losers was pretty hilarious. I also thought her not finishing that word in the oath would come up, but when it didn't come up right away I figured they weren't going back to it, so it was funny when they did it at the factory.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That was certainly a curveball! When she was talking to the refugees, and she was so sad about her self-destruction in the polls, I figured her "empathy" would cause another wild swing in her popularity. But of course then she got the good news about the resignation, and her "empathy" vanished quicker than, well, a politician's empathy when the camera turns away.

I did NOT see her becoming President. That completely blindsided me.

6. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Watching Jonah interact with his mom was hilarious and revealing

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That's what I was thinking. That can't make her the real prez (ie, voted in) because (1) it's called VEEP, and (2) she's just too cartoonish for even this show to pretend she's the president. At least not for long. ;)

So she makes a deal, trades a spot on the ticket, in exchange for her support. Chung? Thornhill? Now that's cartoonish. And right up VEEP's alley.:D

8. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    That's where they're going to go with it, I think.

Although, on the British show there were several cast changes as the parliamentary terms ended so who knows?

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    So basically she's reliving the arc portrayed in the opening credits? ;)

10. jacobp

jacobp Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Potomac, MD...
    I'm sure you all remember this, but the same thing happened with President Obama's inauguration. I cannot remember if it was during the first or second swearing in, but he flubbed a line in the oath, and later in the day, in a side room, they repeated the swearing in just to make sure it was "kosher."

11. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I rewatched these last night and noticed something I didn't see the first time - a giant portrait of Jonah hanging on the wall of his mom's living room! Hysterical.

12. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I saw that. I thought it looked like a younger Jonah.

13. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    It was the Chief Justice that flubbed the line.

This is what Roberts was supposed to ask Mr, Obama to repeat:

"That I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States."

Instead, Justice Roberts said, "That I will execute the office to President to the United States, faithfully."

-smak-

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    that was my thought process, too. and chung as prez would be incredible!

15. Zevida

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The show is called Veep, but I don't know if she would serve as VP again - remember she told Maddox that she'd rather be "shot in the f*cking face" than serve as VP again! Of course having to eat those words might be pretty funny.

16. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was surprised that Maddox turned out to be such a dud. It's like they modeled him after Herman Cain during the debates.

17. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Sounds like you just wrote the premise for Season Four! :D

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I'm thinking. After some (not much) time of being POTUS, she's going to realize that it's just more than what she wants. This show is too successful to change the title character like that.

These two eps were pretty great, though! I also loved the 'Jonah and his mother' stuff.