VCR to Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Asshat5000, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Asshat5000

Asshat5000 New Member

Aug 1, 2004

Advertisements

Yes. I want to upload a taped recording to my Tivo brand Series 2 tivo, but I am not really sure if this is possible or how to go about doing so. I skimmed through the FAQs and tried the search feature but came up with nothing.

Any advice?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's possible, but clunky. You have to fool the TiVo into thinking it is recording from a cable or satellite box and connect the VCR to the appropriate A/V input on the TiVo. You would use a manual (time and channel) recording, and the title would be whatever the TiVo thought was on at that time.

3. Asshat5000

Asshat5000 New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Oh man. That sounds like a pain! Thanks though.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You might be better off moving your VCR tapes to a DVD recorder, either one with or without a hard drive. Besides why would you want to take up valuable TiVo drive space for a VHS tape?

5. jaybird28

jaybird28 New Member

Dec 25, 2005

Advertisements

What if we wanted to transfer VCR tapes to my Series two TiVo and upload them to DVD's. Is this a way to get some special VCR recording put on DVD, or is there an easier way?

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You leave the TiVo out of the picture, connect the VCR's outputs to the DVD recorder's inputs, and you play the tape and record onto the disc.

Sometimes you can find a video shop that will do this for you, if you don't have a DVD recorder yourself.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm currently doing just that. Sony VCR connected to Philips DVD recorder to transfer content.

8. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    Get a better user name.